What's new

How do you reload your changer?

APW

Reaction score
Do you count the coins out exact or just fill the hoppers to the top.

slash007

Reaction score
I just fill the hoppers to the top on some, on my Rowe's they hold so much so I don't fill all the way.

MEP001

Reaction score
The only reason to count the quarters going into the changer would be if you valuate it against the payout counters and bills accepted because someone besides you has access to it.

APW

Reaction score
Im the only person in there so I will quit counting them. The reason I ask is im having a lot of people just getting change and leaving. But if I quit counting them it won't take much time to reload the hoppers. I thought about going to $ coins but I'm afraid a small town like mine I might tick my customers off that don't want to insert a dollar at a time instead of a quarter. So I guess I'll keep on with quarters and quit counting them.

MEP001

Reaction score
Is the problem so bad that you're having to bring in quarters?

Dcalhoun

Reaction score
Don't forget about stringing thefts. Even if you are the only employee who has access you still might want to monitor concerning thefts from guys who walk around with hoodies over their faces. If a bad guy has figured out how to rip you off you might not be aware it is happening if you don't monitor the quarters out and the dollars in.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Don't forget about stringing thefts. Even if you are the only employee who has access you still might want to monitor concerning thefts from guys who walk around with hoodies over their faces. If a bad guy has figured out how to rip you off you might not be aware it is happening if you don't monitor the quarters out and the dollars in.
I thought that is what the coin counter on the hopper is for...The counter racks off 400 ticks, there should be $100 in the bill acceptor. I write down the "Counter" number daily and subtract it from the previous day. This tells me how much $$$ should be in the bill acceptor. I think this would be the only method you could use to see if you were getting strung....Unless you want to physically count coins every day or so.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Fill'em up, use the counter on the changer, count the bills. I'm anal, but not so much to have to count quarters.

I do scan through them looking for sticky or bent ones the best I can. The ones that jam up the coin slots do not go to the changer, don't want a jam there.

MEP001

Reaction score
A faster option would be to use a scale to weigh quarters you add to the changer. A decent bathroom scale should be accurate to about 1%. If you weigh the empty hopper you can valuate the changer by weighing the hoppers with quarters and subtracting the empty weight. It would let you know if there's a problem with the changer causing it to overpay.

U Wash

Joe Dirt
Reaction score
You mentioned going to dollar coins. We use machines with two hoppers and vend both dollar coins and quarters. Dollar bill gives quarters, 5 & 10 dollar bills give combinations of dollar coin and quarters. For example a $5 bill gets you 3 gold dollars and 8 quarters.
Then we value the dollar coin in the self serve bay at $1.25 so the customer gets a bonus for using it at the wash. Everyone else was priced at $1.75 for a cycle and we increased to $2 a cycle when we made this change. Customers mention it all the time and always favorable. So I am certain I get return business. Of course you need machines with two hoppers to make it work.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I like to keep track of all my income from, Vending, Vacuums and Bays. As far as filling goes I just fill to consistent level in changers. I am going to be installing bill and CC in my bays shortly, so I assume I will be doing less coin sorting and counting.