What's new

How many feet between vacuums?

APW

Reaction score
Going to put up canopy and put my vacuums under it. How many feet between the islands do I need for two cars to be between them at the same time?

slash007

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but what I did was to park two large cars where they would be while vacuuming and opening the doors then measure. That would be your best bet and you can see how it will look when in use.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
10 feet will accomodate most cars with the doors open comfortably but not fully. One way to get a little more in the sack is to stagger the Vacs somewhat so the hose at one side is a couple of feet ahead or behind the one at the other side. that way the cars are staggered and opened doors don't line up quite so much.

MEP001

Reaction score
Going to put up canopy and put my vacuums under it. How many feet between the islands do I need for two cars to be between them at the same time?
Are you looking for the minimum you can get by with, or do you want to know how wide it should be to make it easy and roomy for your customers?

APW

Reaction score
I want it to be easy for my customers but I also don't want to overkill it because I am having my shelter ordered according to how far apart my islands are.

APW

Reaction score
Im having a local contractor that puts up red iron buildings order and install it. It will have a 4/12 pitch and im thinking 20' wide and 35' long. I think I will only put three combo vacs under it and leave a couple out by the road with no shelter.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Dan Hanna Sr. use to recommend 14’ wide vacuuming lanes for full service. I try to encourage clients to go 12’, preferably 13’ with express.

Reason is the average car is about 6’ wide and doors are about 3’ wide when fully extended which equals 12’.

So, 13’ gives you that extra space to go between vehicles when all doors are open.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I think the type of setup needs to be taken into account. Tommy has a single stanchion with dual hoses, one for each side of the car and their sample states 14' centers. That setup has it equaly likely that the customer will fully open and vac from doors on both sides.

At my locations the vacs are on an Island to one side of the vehicle. Customers spend little or no time taking the hose to the far side and vacuuming thru that door.

So, along with space availability the type of setup is important.