What's new

How to handle a hit and run

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Bill, How can Diamond act as a litagator? He does not have the authority to charge her card by LAW! You are advising him to break the law.... are you aware of that? Are you a willing accomplis to an act of a fleony? He say's that the damage is over $1000.... where is his proof? Is he just going to charge her first, as he says and you recommend then see if she "notices"... that's theft!

It doesn't mater if he can't ID her, that is unfortunate... he can not break a law to correct a law (vigalante justice). Any Judge would tear him a new a$$hole.

But go right ahead Bill... tell him to do it your way.... but offer to pay his court cost associated with your poor legal advice too!

Diamond...if you do this... ask your attorney FIRST before you charge $1000 on a strangers CC! The $200 phone call might be better than a night in jail.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
An Attorney has been contacted and the WHOLE situation has been explained with the info I have, I am waiting for a call from him tomorrow morning but he also said to me "DON'T PAY OUT OF POCKET!!!" he says he has seen to many buissnesses do this and now they don't have a buissness because they went broke paying for everybody elses mistakes, when he calls me tomorrow I will just throw it out there about charging the card if he hasn't already suggested it, let's see what the LEGAL advise comes up with tomorrow.

Randy

Reaction score
Diamondwash, You never answered the question as to how much damage was done. Do you have pictures of the damage? Can you post them here so we can see the damage?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Doug, I didn't tell him to do anything, I just said what I would do, you are the one running around spouting half correct info. Lets compare how many times each of us have been in court and who won the most times.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Here in PA, hit & run is a crime. This is quite simple to me - I would go to the chief of police and insist that they prosecute. File all necessary paperwork, especially if the chief says no. I mean, come on - you have video, a cc#, a name ...

FYI, this did happen to me a few years ago - hit & run by a moving truck, we found out who it was. The end result was that charges were filed, and it went to court. The end result:
a) guilty of hitting the building and therefore responsible for the repair costs.
b) guilty of hit & run because he did not report it to the police before leaving the scene.
c) my insurance paid for the repairs, then went after his insurance co for the $.

Last edited:

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
Last year I had a similar situation. A kid damaged my wash with his vehicle. The kid called me and I got all of his driver info. along with pictures. A week later his dad showed up to survey the damages and to tell me that he was not going to file on his ins.

I called my ins. agent and filed a claim on my policy. Two days later an adjuster showed up, took pictures of the damage, took the kid’s driver info. and had me get one bid from a general contractor to make the repairs. About 10 days later I had a check from my ins. co. to cover the contractor’s estimate less my deductible ($1,000). A note came with the check that when and if my ins. co. recovered from the kid, I would get my deductible back.

Last week (7 months after I filed the claim) I got my $1,000 back.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
O.K I hear alot of good advice here, so how do I go about locating this person to speak with them??? Visa "Cannot" and "Will Not" release any customer info and the Police Department says the same thing about credit card customer confidentiality even when I showed them the video, the credit card report with all of this persons info, c.c number, etc so what do I do??? Can lawyers get the info I am looking for or do I just repair the damages myself out of pocket close to $1000 in damages.
Bill, This is not "spouting off half info". You advised him what you would do.

Diamond stated the amount is more than what most...if not all States would consider Felony theft..$1000 in damage to be charged on a customers cc without there knowledge or with consent on a separate date for the last visit to the car wash. Any judge would see that as theft, IMO. Or am I really that much of an idiot and that so far apart from ALL OF YOU that I can't see what you all see?

Last edited:

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
And for the record, I told diamond what I would do. Find a friend with computer software that has the customer info (like site wash or wash pay) that TELLS YOU THE CUSTOMER NAME. RING UP $1.00 and reverse the chagre once you see the name one the computer! $1.00 will not be noticed (especially if reversed) and is so far below a felony or midemeanor that no one would EVER say a word... and the info would be obtained as to who holds the card (not necessarly who drove the vehicle). Then the address search could begin.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Here in PA, hit & run is a crime. This is quite simple to me - I would go to the chief of police and insist that they prosecute. File all necessary paperwork, especially if the chief says no. I mean, come on - you have video, a cc#, a name ...

FYI, this did happen to me a few years ago - hit & run by a moving truck, we found out who it was. The end result was that charges were filed, and it went to court. The end result:
a) guilty of hitting the building and therefore responsible for the repair costs.
b) guilty of hit & run because he did not report it to the police before leaving the scene.
c) my insurance paid for the repairs, then went after his insurance co for the $.
Paul, that's the way it's supose to go! But would you have just chagred the guys card without taking him to court?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Paul, that's the way it's supose to go! But would you have just chagred the guys card without taking him to court?
I would press charges first, file at small claims court second. If for some reason I was 100% unable to do those 2, then ... I dont know. When I get in a fighting mood, yes. I try to control that part of me, but sometimes I cant. And sometimes I think that is called for. So the truth is, I can see both sides of this.