What's new

How to verify income with NO paperwork

NWBY

Reaction score
I inquired about an SS carwash for sale in my area, the broker explained that the owner passed away and they do not have paperwork to verify income or even give a ballpark figure, its not the first car wash Ive seen with no papers, but understandable its a cash heavy business.

Any other ways to verify income on these types of properties for purchase?

Thanks!

chaz

Reaction score
U can stake out the place at random times to get a sense of business. Though quite frankly….no financials….i’d start at making offer based on land value……and maybe allow some for equipment depending on age. Guy likely reported low numbers to cash out under table. That’s illegal. Plus when sell time come along….offers will be based on low numbers

OurTown

Reaction score
Can you call the water department to find out how much water was used per month? Maybe there was a chemical sales guy that stopped by once in a while and you find some info from that person.

Eric H

Reaction score
Value of land, building and equipment is all that a conventional lender will loan on. If you can get a distributor to give you a value on the equipment and a real estate appraiser for building and land you’ll have a value to base your offer from.
The SBA will lend on the “good will money” or “business value” that is above the value of land, building and equipment. Without any supporting documentation the SBA won’t touch this deal.
Is the wash still in operation or is it closed since the owners passing?