What's new

Is this deceptive advertising

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
bait & switch or just smart marketing?

On January 1st I started what I discussed here a few months back, a $3 wash, but only as a pre-paid. I had a few signs made for the wind master sign that says "car wash $3".... wait... I just got interupted by a guy who tells me to get my lawyer because it's misleading.

Is it "misleading"? I do have a $3 car wash as pre-paids... is there something wrong with not placing that on the sign. Should I put at the bottom of the sign "when you buy 5" in smaller print?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, here's the thing; You may or may not be within your legal rights to advertise your car wash this way, but is that really the point? I don't think so. The point of advertising is to boost your sales and you won't do too well by leaving out info about "you must buy at least 5 pre-paid washes to receive the $3 price". You're sort of misleading the customer here. If I saw your sign, and I wanted a $3 car wash, I'd pull in and try to purchase one. I'd feel 'taken' just a little bit if I actually had to shell out $15 instead of the $3 I had planned to spend. Put yourself in the customers' shoes. How would you feel if, say, you had $3 in your wallet and had to get out of line when you realized the $3 price point was only valid if you spent $15 up front. I bet you'd be mad and embarrassed.

Instead of considering your legal rights, focus on the customer and their experience at your car wash. Put the real deal clearly on the sign; $3 car wash when you buy 5 pre-paid washes, or however you want to word it. No small print; everything the same size and made as straightforward and simple as possible.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Well Dave, this is what happened. I made my brother-in-law go to the sign shop for me on Wednesday to get a 24"X24" neon sign that said "$3 car wash" and get me a price for the wind master signs because I work 10-14 hour days and call in the cardiac cath lab (went in yesterday at 6am got home after 8pm). I wanted the 24" signs for the kids to hold when they handed out the flyers that I printed up announcing the $3 washs when you buy the 5 pre-paids... CLEARLY STATED (I'll post the flyer). I have the kids when it's slow go to Walmart, K-Mart & Shopping areas and hand people the flyers while one kid holds the sign. Well when I got to my tunnel this morning I found two wind master signs also ($103 each) where made up and placed in the frames... so I put them at the road..... yes... they got attention quickly! I didn't want them worded that way.. and I run an account with a sign guy for car washes (old fashion bartering) so I can add "when you buy 5" at the bottom.

I see your point over getting in line for a $3 wash only to find out you have to spend $15... that was not how it was intended to be marketed... that why I have flyers... the signs were not for that, they were to be quoted!

This is what pi$$es me off.... I raised my full service packages from $22 to $25, from $15 to $17 and an exterior with a dry top package from $9 to $13.... with alomost NO COMPLAINTS! But the cheap ba$tards have the balls to complain over a $3 wash and a FREE VAC over a $5 and a FREE VAC and tell me that they can SUE ME! It makes me want to stop offering it in the first 3 days!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, I see your point. But don't forget that what you are doing by offering a $3 wash is marketing to the 'cheapskates'. You can't cater to them and complain about them at the same time!

You know these customers. You know what makes them tick.;)

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I would just get your sign guy to print up some stickers for the signs stating "with a pre-paid purchase of 5 washes carwash price is ONLY $3.00 each wash" or something like that. Stick it on the bottom of the signs and forget about it.
After that there will be know more complaints.
Once done it will be forgotten about in a couple of weeks.
It's not worth getting upset.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Okay, I see your point. But don't forget that what you are doing by offering a $3 wash is marketing to the 'cheapskates'. You can't cater to them and complain about them at the same time!

You know these customers. You know what makes them tick.;)
Oh.... like THE TIME BOMB UP THEIR A$$ waiting to explode?

Man, the other thing is that for almost 2 years I have offers a $4 wash! All they have to do is buy the VIP club for $10 and they get $1 of the $5 wash every time.... but even that is too much. Every Winter i go thru this with Michanganders and Canadians! They drive in and say "how bout that $1 wash a"? I look at that like WTF? for a $1 I can't touch your door handle in liability insurance! I offer for the $12 wash & protect package (EE with double bond, rust inhibitor, triplefoam, tire shine) for $48 (did offer) 5 washes with a 24 hour rain/anything quarentee.... so you can have 10 washes for $4.80@ and you can mail in a REBATE for $3 EACH TIME for 5 WASHES to SIMONIZE SO YOU ONLY PAY $3.30 a wash for DOUBLE BOND, RUST INHIBITOR AND TIRE SHINE on half of the washes!. Now I extened that to 48 hour quarentee and it STILL WON'T BE GOOD ENOUGH!

I'm just going to put on the bottom of the sign "when you buy 5 pre-paids"

briteauto

Reaction score
I understand everyone's point so far, and you all have legitemite arguments. This is just a question, not a suggestion. Can you market the deal as "5 Washes for $15"? I know the whole point is to have a big $3 to dangle in the eye of the customer, but weather there is a legal issue, or business ethics issue, or whatever with needing the "fine print", this would eliminate any justification or "catch" to the deal. I also realize this requires some quick, short division on the part of the customer to fully realize the value.

Again, I am not suggesting this - I do not have wash packages like this at my location, and you guys obviously have experience with them, I am simply asking if this is a viable way to advertise/sell these low price washes.

Mike

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doug

Maybe a "$2 car wash" sign at your self serve is a better idea!:D

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Doug

Maybe a "$2 car wash" sign at your self serve is a better idea!:D

I actually thought about that! Put a "$2 CAR WASH" sign in the wind master between the property lines of the tunnel and the self service and a FREE VAC below it..... that would confuse the $hit out of them!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You made a mistake as we all in business do from time to time. Those that say they haven't are liars or don't do any business. The sign is misleading. Now, the true measure of a good business person is how they remedy a mistake.

Etowah

easywash

Reaction score
Ad one line and it's not misleading

Ad one line and it's not misleading:

"Some Conditions Apply - See Manger for Details"

It can be in a smaller font size and I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with advertising it in that way.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Ad one line and it's not misleading:

"Some Conditions Apply - See Manger for Details"

It can be in a smaller font size and I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with advertising it in that way.
Easy has a very good point Earl! It's not always "correcting a mistake" that makes a "good businessman".... I doubt that Donald Trump was more corcerned over correcting a mistake than CAPITALIZING ON IT.

Adding "STOP FOR DETAILS" or "SEE MANAGER FOR DETAILS" puts the low price SEEKER's time and energy (wait) upon themselves and NOT THE BUSINESS OWNER.

The sign does what a sign is suposed to do.... GET ATTENTION. It's not for explaining a MENU or a list of services... it's to catch attention. That's what ADVERTISING IS.

TRUTH IN ADVERTISING IS AN OXYMORON... that's a fact! We are bombarded with it all day long. From Diets, Salads, Car ads....everything on TV has deceptive, untruthful (in some philosophical way I could argue) leanings. Quick story.... An Itialian man sued the Catholic Church & the Pope for his Tithes back for FALSE ADVERTISING BECAUSE THEY CAN'T PROVE HE'LL HAVE ETERNEL LIFE (that Jesus existed)! See how crazy that arguement becomes? http://www.hvk.org/articles/0106/148.html

Anyway I E-Mailed my sign guy yesterday durring the exchange Dave (waxman) and I had and he'll bring out the rest of the sign's "disclaimer" so I didn't waste $218 on the signs because of some whinny a$$ cheap skate bottom feeder. Same people complained when I put out coffee and didn't have flavored creamer for FREE.... know wonder the World's going to $hit.

"Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see" Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
>>Adding "STOP FOR DETAILS" or "SEE MANAGER FOR DETAILS" puts the low price SEEKER's time and energy (wait) upon themselves and NOT THE BUSINESS OWNER.<<<<

Will they spend the time and energy or figure the come on is not worth their time. ? You are making a great offer! There is no reason not to make it easy to understand fully.

>>>TRUTH IN ADVERTISING IS AN OXYMORON... that's a fact! We are bombarded with it all day long. From Diets, Salads, Car ads....everything on TV has deceptive, untruthful (in some philosophical way I could argue) leanings. <<<

So, you seem displeased with this reality. Don't you think others feel the same way? Why choose to folow the same path you find distasteful?

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
>>Adding "STOP FOR DETAILS" or "SEE MANAGER FOR DETAILS" puts the low price SEEKER's time and energy (wait) upon themselves and NOT THE BUSINESS OWNER.<<<<

Will they spend the time and energy or figure the come on is not worth their time. ? You are making a great offer! There is no reason not to make it easy to understand fully.

>>>TRUTH IN ADVERTISING IS AN OXYMORON... that's a fact! We are bombarded with it all day long. From Diets, Salads, Car ads....everything on TV has deceptive, untruthful (in some philosophical way I could argue) leanings. <<<

So, you seem displeased with this reality. Don't you think others feel the same way? Why choose to folow the same path you find distasteful?
Earl, I find it REALITY... not distasteful. Advertising is only ment to SELL, to inform is secondary... it is not a PUBLIC SERVICE ANOUNCMENT. An Advertising agengcy's sole purpose is to generate income not to inform... that would become the work of a government agency...like public health.

Even PT Barnium said it... he sold entertainment, bearded ladies and freaks! How do you know "it's the tallest man or the longest beard"?

This is crazy... but well worth an intellegent discussion on marketing. And in a way... I don't care if I pi$$ of the bottom feeder... I'm sick of their crap. Last winter they bit(hed that I stopped giving out Free donuts before 9am! I watch the car dealers in this town with the cook outs.... same people drive up... get a soda and hot dogs and leave. When I do charity washes for the Churches (catholic church has February) they get 100% of the money and will make over $3000.... yet I'll get someone who will demand that I vacuum thier car for the $5 ticket that went to the Church!

Earl.... They are making me crazy.

Last edited:

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
"I don't care if I pi$$ of the bottom feeder."

"They are making me crazy."

Then don't market directly to them! Bite the bullet and have a sign made that states "5 washes, $15". I know that people will have to do a little math, but this one is pretty simple.

easywash

Reaction score
This is probably going to be controversial but I will say it anyways.

This is probably going to be controversial but I will say it anyways.

I run a promotion 2-3 times a week with two big 4-5ft signs that say FREE CARWASH and in small print "some conditions apply"

When the customer drives in my greeter approaches them and asks them if they are here for their FREE CARWASH.

Then we tell them that it's their lucky day... we are actually going to give them 7 days of FREE CARWASHING but they have to sign up to a Trial membership of one of our monthly unlimited membership options which range from $29-$59 per month.

The deal is they get the 7 days of washing for FREE and if they do not cancel their trial membership they are billed the full monthly rate.

To date we have signed up over 700 people to the Trial Memberships and of those over 350 continued on to full memberships netting me in excess of $45,000 since I started the program in September when you take into consideration the membership fee recurs monthly....

YES, some people complain that they want a Free Carwash, maybe 3 out of 100 and if they complain loud enough we give it to them on the spot.... Big deal.

YES some people complain that we billed the full monthly rate because they forgot to cancel their trial so I point them to the terms and conditions they agreed to and if they complain loud enough I refund the membership fee. Big deal.

But I ask you this... As an entrepreneur should I stop a promotion because of a couple of complaining customers???

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Ultimately the BEST promotion are always pushing the boundaries of what the customer expects to receive otherwise they simply will not respond.

Rate this promo Line:

FREE Carwash = 10 out of 10

$3 Carwash = 7 out of 10

5 washes for $15 = 2 out of 10 (No disrespect meant to Pat H)

Whatever you do with you advertising you need to get people attention?. If it?s a $3 Carwash for a Free Carwash is doesn?t matter as long as you justify your position and explain it in full before your customers buys.

But whatever you do don?t let a silly customer stop you from perusing you millions! Keep promoting your $3 Carwash.

JK Xpress

Reaction score
I called my friend (a lawyer) last night and told him to head over to Ben's Car Wash w/ his Digital Camera and get a $3 wash and see what happens. Gotta love America and all of its attorneys.

Ben's Car Wash does car about the bottom feeders - he actually posted a few weeks back or months back - that he wanted to do a $3 wash on a prepaid basis only - customer had to buy $15 worth. He is stuck on the pre-paid because as he stated the majority of the people would not redeem 2, or 3 of the 5 washes purchased.

Not sure why everyone assumes that the $3 consumer is a bottom feeder. I wash a Bentley at my place every single day - sometimes Jeff comes in twice a day.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
>>>Not sure why everyone assumes that the $3 consumer is a bottom feeder. I wash a Bentley at my place every single day - sometimes Jeff comes in twice a day.<<<

last year we were at $3.00 Now at $3.50 at 4 locations. Some competition is still at $3.00 or less. You can send all these customers to me. We did about 500k Of them last year/ with any luck this year I would like to make it past 600K. (So far the 2008 weather is not cooperating:(

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
I called my friend (a lawyer) last night and told him to head over to Ben's Car Wash w/ his Digital Camera and get a $3 wash and see what happens. Gotta love America and all of its attorneys.

Ben's Car Wash does car about the bottom feeders - he actually posted a few weeks back or months back - that he wanted to do a $3 wash on a prepaid basis only - customer had to buy $15 worth. He is stuck on the pre-paid because as he stated the majority of the people would not redeem 2, or 3 of the 5 washes purchased.

Not sure why everyone assumes that the $3 consumer is a bottom feeder. I wash a Bentley at my place every single day - sometimes Jeff comes in twice a day.
I don't assume all $3 customers are bottom feeders... just the ones who still complain that "FREE" is too dam expensive!

Yes, In my view a $3 EE wash is not profitable (as Earl expressed in his post) unless you collect the cash UPFRONT AS A PRE-PAID.... counting on carrying forward that cash and on the redeems being a 30% loss. Home Depot a few years back posted over 20 MILLION IN UNREDDEMED GIFT CARDS. That is why we sell gift card and why we sell pre-paids... we count on the getting lost to a certian %. That makes a $3 wash back to a $5 and again profitable for me to offer while being ATTRACTIVE TO THE CONSUMER!

I see nothing wrong with it. I also see nothing wrong with the previous post in stating "FREE CAR WASH" and having them join a monthly club. Marketing a business is 30%-40% of a business. It's not dishonest.... it's smart business.