What's new

Just A Heads Up On Emptying Trashcans

cdreed06

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you all know what happened to me last evening that will have me paying more attention. Last night we just got to the car wash and I went to empty the trash. First can overfull and very heavy, took it to the dumpster and heaved it over and of course there was 2 concrete blocks in the bottom (halves) and a box in the top that got stuck. So I fished the box out and got a whiff of something strange. I then shook the can and got trash flowing and a big whiff of something. The third time I saw a cloud coming from the dumpster/can and it took my breath away. I stepped back and noticed a place by my dolly where something had leaked from the bottom of the can and it was bubbling on the concrete. There was visible vapors now coming from the dumpster so I called the police and fire dept. They came immediately and started testing the vapors. While they were doing that I started coughing then short of breath and feeling like I ate a big lump of bread with no water. So off to the hospital for me. They started a IV and gave me a few different things and within 4 hours I was back to breathing ok. I didn't get a big exposure but enough. So turns out I found a meth lab dump in my trashcan. Wonderful. Just what my wife and I needed. On June 14th my mom had a serious car accident and we have been at the hospital a hour away almost everyday since. She is still on a ventilator but weaning off now. I would really like to thank the druggie who dumped that because I didn't have enough trouble already. Just needed to vent this and remind you all to watch carefully.

Eric H

Reaction score
Sadly not the first time hearing a story like this. Glad you are doing ok. I was stuck with a needle in june 2005, being on the HIV meds for a month was no fun at all.

I often wonder what we are exposed to on a daily basis in the carwash industry. Bodily fluids in wash bays, drugs and asbestos in vacuum cleaners....

cdreed06

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Louey- Pinkman is on my list now. I do wonder what goes on that we have no idea of. Just glad we didn't have some kid rummaging through the trash or the retired fellow that helps me from time to time dump it.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
CD,

If there ever was a case for having some easy to access pertinent lengthy enough video footage to show to the police ... your case certainly qualifies. Some police detectives can be very persistent & tenacious ... based on some tough life threatening situations that we have also sadly have been a part of. About a week ago ... we had an exchange with our local PD concerning an "Amber Alert" that was sent out to every newer active cell phone in our whole state & possibly extending even further. None of us wants our business possibly on the news alerts "in a crime scene way" but sometimes there are compelling overriding circumstances that call for it.

Just a heads up on any of us walking by & down wind from a customer prepping his boat ... watch out ... some of those prep chemicals most certainly can be a problem for ours & others respiratory system!!! We have a lot of boats in our area that come to the car wash.

mike

Etowah

cdreed06

Reaction score
Mike- I do have a fairly good camera system that we used to see the fellow doing this. He appeared very much like you would expect a meth cook to look like. The cameras are not good enough to get a good tag but partial with the description of the vehicle and the moron driving it. I think our next (hopefully) winter capitol project will be a better camera system. The police here are wonderful, they even came up to the hospital to check on me. Great bunch of guys.

Randy

Reaction score
Wow! Chris you are one lucky guy! You could have gotten lasting health issues from this one time exposure. Have they determined what chemicals you where exposed to? The chemicals that are used in the manufacture of Meth are very dangerous, not only to the loser end user but to the environment. We’ve gotten a few Meth labs over the years. After 32 years I’ve seen just about everything that one could possibly imagine at the car wash. The general public seems to think it’s OK to use the local car wash as a dumping ground. I always wear heavy gloves and coveralls whenever I’m working at the car wash.

I’m sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she continues to make a speedy recovery.

I've got a HD camera system to install. Haven't had the time to get it done. I'm kind of afraid what I'll see when we aren't there.

cdreed06

Reaction score
Randy, it was the muriatic acid from a shake and bake operation. The police went through the trash and found the boxes of cold tablets. I imagine you have seen lots in 32 years, it seems like we have had enough in just our short 2 1/2 years.

Mom is doing better, she was in ICU for 3 weeks, first night was touch and go the drs didn't give her much hope. 5% what they could do and 95% God they said. We all sat in the floor of the waiting room and prayed. She was 7 miles from home and fell asleep and hit a tree without hitting the brakes. She was doing about 70. The seatbelt was on but didn't lock up and she ended up in the floor. She has a broken neck, 4 broken ribs, hip was broken and compacted into her pelvis on right side and ankle broke on left. Her lungs failed and she was put on ventilator that night in ER. She had 2 surgerys and now has a halo on her neck. She is breathing on her own somewhat but still has ventilator assistance. So our whole last month is just been hospital and home and trying keep everything else going. Like I said before I just didn't need this. Thanks for all you guys's replies on this.

jimbeaux

Reaction score
Chris, thanks for the heads-up. Prayers said for you and your family, they really do help!

cdreed06

Reaction score
Wow MEP, I just read that. Anybody know how this guy is doing? And thanks jimbeaux, they do work I believe that is how she made it through that Saturday night.