What's new

!! Kc area thefts !!

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Found my coin vaults and vacuum drawers all broken into this morning. Happened between 0330-0430 this morning.

The suspect knew my wash and where the vaults and cameras were, wore a ski mask and hoodie. Used some type of tool that looked like a punch to bust the locks and pull out the drawers. These thieves have too good of tools for me to stay ahead of them, and I can only record them doing the act and never find out who they are.

Not going to fix what he damaged. I will be going 100% credit card moving forward.

br549ms

Reaction score
Theee is an article in SWCA Magazine about KC area carwash attempted robberies. You can view at swca.com

br549ms

Reaction score
Sorry about that. It’s a news letter they send out “SWCA Today” here is the article:

Burglars try and knock off KCK car wash three times in two weeks
POSTED 6:21 PM, OCTOBER 22, 2018, BY SHANNON O'BRIEN
Burglars try and knock off KCK car wash three times in two weeks
>

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- If you don’t at first succeed try, try again. It is a theory practiced by two knuckleheads who tried to burglarize a car wash in KCK three times.

Brian Underwood owns the car wash on Leavenworth Road near 75th Street in KCK. He has the place rigged with security cameras.

The latest video feature was three robbery attempts in two weeks all caught on tape.

“I am walking through the bay and find a broken drill bit,” Underwood said. “I naturally come over and look at the lock, I discover it has been drilled, there was an attempt to drill it.”

On the morning of October 8 a silver car is seen pulling into one of Underwood’s car wash bays. Using a portable drill, a guy tries to break the plug lock on the coin collector. It didn’t work and the guy leaves empty handed.

“He came back the next day," Underwood said. "Come to find out he had been here again, this time he brought a friend.”

On the night of October 9 the guy and his buddy are caught on video surveillance trying to again drill the coin collector lock open. One decides to take advantage of their surroundings and actually washes the car. Again, leaving with nothing, except a clean get away car.

Could three times be a charm? Well, these guys wanted to find out when they returned October 19 at 5:20 in the morning. Again, trying to break into the coin collector.

Underwood said he found metal shavings and broken drill bits all over the place.

“One of the guys looked up and realized there was a camera looking down on him and they burned out real quick.”

It took "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid" eight minutes to realize they were caught on camera.

“Determined they are for sure,” Underwood said. “And I think that’s why it is important these guys be identified and caught. If they are running around at five in the morning with a portable drill, coming back here three times, God only knows what else they are doing.”

Although the burglars didn’t get away with any money, they sure did waste a lot of Brian Underwood’s money. It will cost him hundreds of dollars to repair the damage these guys caused.

If you recognize the failed burglars, please call the KCK police. Reference police report number 2018-111937.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Where car washes in a colder climate & overhead doors on both ends are required ... an operator can lock up at night. Overhead doors can be made to be an alarmed 1st step barrier before more extensive damage is done. Sometimes it is just mindless vandalism ... not related to any coins or bills at all.

Etowah