What's new

Know when to say NO

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:confused:Sometimes in an attempt to earn more, I say yes to things (jobs) I shouldn't. I waxed a Winnebago recently and I should never ever have said yes to the job. Despite the fact that I gave a very clear idea of the possible outcome (uneven appearance due to sun fading), the customer was not satisfied. Because it was a commercial fleet account (limos etc) I did not charge for the camper.

So my lesson learned is stick to my specialty (cars) and forget going after all the money/jobs/work. And also stick to my instincts; something in me said to not take the job but I did anyway. Oh,Lord. Will I ever learn???:confused:

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself over this. I think we all have taken on some jobs that we knew were a mistake when we did. Just try to learn a good lesson and maybe all that effort will pay off in the future when you really do learn to say "No".

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
You maybe should have had them sign the contract with the explanation. I cannot believe any honest decent person would let you wax and buff out the winnebago, and then not pay. At best a person would have asked for a discount, but to actually leave your place without paying. That is 100x cheaper than this norwegian Jew has the guts to do to any business to save a few bucks, or because of a slight dissatisfaction. I hope he doesn't try to play you on the rest of his limos.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I offered 'no charge' as a gesture of good faith. I am sure he would've paid a nominal fee or whatever I asked for; I chose zero.

I will make it up. The annual contract is worth alot to me the detail business is much better equipped to make money washing and waxing cars than it is at xtra large vehicles.

ToFarGone20

Reaction score
I would have tried it too!!! If you would have made it work I am sure there is good $$$ to be made. People pay big money for those rigs and will pay to take care of them. Now you know. Maybe you are like me and you will wake up in the middle of the night and think of a way to do it better.

Kudos for taking a chance...and don't let it stop you on the next thing...it might be the gold mine you are looking for.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Zero

I think offering $0 was the right call. It's good business.

Years ago, I bid a software programming job and priced it out as a 20 hour job. More then 150 hours later, I was still working on it, but of course not being compensated. Eventually I got it completed.

Since I already had so much time in this project fulfilling just a single commitment, I decided to add even more time and seek more customers. The result worked, and I dislodged entrenched players from the space and grew the business to become the dominant force in that industry with more than 1,000 customers.

So what appears as a bust one day can turn into something better another day.