What's new

mars bill acceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHINEY2

Reaction score
I have Jim's boxes in my self serve bays with MARS acceptors 2400 series. These are new last May, so approx 14 months old. The problem is they are starting to stop accepting bills. I have cleaned them - but they wont take a bill. i sent one in in March and had it fixed at no charge, but now that same one and another is acting up.

Talked to Etawah valley tech support and Shannon said that it is common to have to send these in for bands every 12 to 14 months depending on vollume Does everyone actually send thiers in this often?

He said I shouldnt try to change the bands myself, that they need to be sent in. Just looking for advice.

I alcohol clean the "eyes" monthly, now After talking to shannon, he had me try and scuff up the bands a little with a scouring pad and alcohol. it seemed to work but he said it is just a "patch" and will need to be sent in soon.

Randy

Reaction score
By “Bands” I’m assuming you’re talking about the belts. No it’s not common to send them in every 12 – 14 months to replace the belts or black drive rollers, they should last year’s not 14 months. Are you getting any flashing Red LED error codes on the back of the validator? Or is the Red LED light steady On? I get a lot of Mars validators in for repair that have water damage to the lower board. Water damage and worn out belts aren’t covered on Warranty. Scuffing up the belts won’t do anything and you shouldn’t use alcohol on the belts, it’ll dry them out. From what you’re saying it sounds to me like you have a lower board problem.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I have had Mars bill acceptors (13 total) for seven years and I have never had a problem with them (other than frying one when I plug the strap in wrong). I view them as one of the most reliable pieces of equipment I have.

MEP001

Reaction score
We have Mars acceptors in the bays as well, been there for 8 years now with only one being replaced. That one lasted six years and just died suddenly. DON'T use alcohol to clean them - just use a damp terry cloth to wipe it all clean.

I did have some issues the first year with the board getting wet, and it would go back into service on its own after it dried out. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the plastic snout so if any water gets sprayed in it runs out the bottom instead of getting up on the board. I've had no problems with them since.

I don't get them serviced - it costs almost $250 for Etowah Valley to do it, and I can get new ones for $325. If they would "fix what's broke" at a reasonable cost I'd do things differently, but no matter what they will not call with a repair estimate. They just come back with a bill.

vinh

Reaction score
I agree with the don't get it fix idea. It is cheaper to buy a new item. A 2400 series Mars is more less obselete. They are making 2700 series now. Don't bother sending them in. You can get it new on ebay for $200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MEI-Mars-AE-241...60805600214?pt=BI_Vending&hash=item3cb939a3d6

When I have mars 2600 validator fails, I buy a new one or refurbish on ebay, Don't even both getting it fix. To get anything fix on a Mars, minimum cost is $75. When I have 3 bad validators, I trade them for one nice working validator.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What are differences between

MArs 2411 and 2412?

Flashport and non Flashport?

Randy

Reaction score
What are differences between

MArs 2411 and 2412?

Flashport and non Flashport?
The Mars AE2411 is a 110 volt $1's and $5's only

The Mars AE2412 is a 24 volt $1's and $5's only

All AE2400 validators manufactured after the 40th week of 1999 have the Flashport capibility. They'll also have the MEI Flashport logo on the side siicker.

All AE2600's are Flashport.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
All AE2400 validators manufactured after the 40th week of 1999 have the Flashport capibility. They'll also have the MEI Flashport logo on the side siicker.

All AE2600's are Flashport.
OK, thanks, but color me stupid, what is "Flashport" / what doest it do?

Randy

Reaction score
OK, thanks, but color me stupid, what is "Flashport" / what doest it do?
“FlashPort” capable means that you can connect a handheld flash programmer to the MEI validator and Flash into the validator software upgrades, such as currency upgrades etc. The older validators that are not “FlashPort” capable cannot be upgraded to accept any of the new currencies. There are a lot of these validators still in the field and for sale on EBay.

SHINEY2

Reaction score
you are right...once it dried it worked again... i will discontinue the use of alcohol immediatly! dang i love this channel....should have posted here instead of callin tech support.

i am going to try the hold drilled in the snout thing.

randy: if you would email me your contact info i will keep on file it i need to send one of these in for a repair.

thanks!

turbospa@hotmail.com

Randy

Reaction score
you are right...once it dried it worked again... i will discontinue the use of alcohol immediatly! dang i love this channel....should have posted here instead of callin tech support.

i am going to try the hold drilled in the snout thing.

]
There’s no reason why you can’t use alcohol to clean the Mars validator, we’ve been using it for over 5 years with no problem. Just don’t use it on the belts or any rubber parts. Dust/dirt is another problem. I use narrow ¾” or 1” paint brush to loosen any dirt and an air hose to blow out the dirt/dust from inside the validator.

Drilling a hole in the Bezel will do very little to prevent water from getting into or out of the validator. When the customer shoots water into the validator it enters the validator from the white wheels or goes up and on to the main board. I've replaced a lot lower boards that are corroded on the leading edge of the board and on the lower portion of the main board. Another problem we run into is the 2 lower screws that hold the Bezel on will rust and when you try to remove them they will strip out or snap off the plastic frame that they are molded into. We coat the screws with silicone grease when we replace the Bezel if we know it’s used in a coin box.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Reading this thread about mars validators I think I am glad I went with the Coinco vantage in the bays. During the few years I have had 8 in Operation I needed 4 serviced. One went bad shortly after install. 3 were warrantied. One was kind of trashed by a customer so it wasn't warrantied.

MEP001

Reaction score
Randy said:
There’s no reason why you can’t use alcohol to clean the Mars validator, we’ve been using it for over 5 years with no problem. Just don’t use it on the belts or any rubber parts.
That's why I said don't use alcohol. There's no reason to risk getting it on the rubber parts when a damp cloth will clean the other parts safely and just as well.
Randy said:
Drilling a hole in the Bezel will do very little to prevent water from getting into or out of the validator.
Bullcrap.
Randy said:
Another problem we run into is the 2 lower screws that hold the Bezel on will rust and when you try to remove them they will strip out or snap off the plastic frame that they are molded into. We coat the screws with silicone grease when we replace the Bezel if we know it’s used in a coin box.
I replace them with stainless.
Earl Weiss said:
Reading this thread about mars validators I think I am glad I went with the Coinco vantage in the bays. During the few years I have had 8 in Operation I needed 4 serviced.
In 8 years with six Mars in the bays I've had only one fail. The rest haven't been serviced in any way except for an occasional cleaning and an update for the new $5 bills which I did myself with a borrowed handheld unit. They still accept almost every bill on the first try.

soapy

Reaction score
Wow, It looks like someone took stuff personally. I have dealt with Randy on bill acceptors, changers etc. for almost 20 years. He has always given good advise and great service. Maybe that is why he has been around so long and is consulted by all the manufacturers of bill validators, coin mechs. etc for his advise. If Randy says it you can count on it.

MEP001

Reaction score
I took it personally because Randy takes many opportunities to contradict my advice, and has been doing so ever since a "discussion" about vac island lights a few years back. I took a genuine interest in the posts and tried to glean information as well as comment based on a lot of research and testing of my own, but he and Shorco1 misconstrued it as a challenge to the recommendation and they've both been riding my ass ever since. I've even since backed up Randy in his knowledge of changers in at least one post as I have no doubt he knows his field, but to be honest I don't respect him as a person. The years of digs, snide comments and unnecessarily contradicting my opinions has done that.

Seriously, what's it going to hurt to have a hole in the bottom of the plastic bezel? I believe with absolute certainty that it keeps water off the board because I had at least one validator a week getting wet and going out of service until I dried it out and haven't had it happen once in seven years after drilling holes in them.

Randy

Reaction score
I took it personally because Randy takes many opportunities to contradict my advice, and has been doing so ever since a "discussion" about vac island lights a few years back. I took a genuine interest in the posts and tried to glean information as well as comment based on a lot of research and testing of my own, but he and Shorco1 misconstrued it as a challenge to the recommendation and they've both been riding my ass ever since. I've even since backed up Randy in his knowledge of changers in at least one post as I have no doubt he knows his field, but to be honest I don't respect him as a person. The years of digs, snide comments and unnecessarily contradicting my opinions has done that.

Seriously, what's it going to hurt to have a hole in the bottom of the plastic bezel? I believe with absolute certainty that it keeps water off the board because I had at least one validator a week getting wet and going out of service until I dried it out and haven't had it happen once in seven years after drilling holes in them.
MEP I truly feel sorry for you. You’re the type of individual that thinks that his opinion is the only and right opinion and everyone else is wrong Heaven forbid if someone should have another opinion on something you’ve voiced your opinion on. Because in your mind, your way is the only way. I don’t think I’ve purposely contradicted you, I’ve just voiced my opinion

I can vaguely remember the Vac island lighting discussion. I know I installed the 100 watt florescent lights over the vac’s along with a few others and everyone seems to be pleased with them. They put out plenty of light.

Of the 47 Mars validators we have installed none of them have holes drilled in the bezel, as well as the hundreds that we’ve repaired, I have yet to see any holes drilled in the bezels. There are 2 drain holes in the frame, just in back of where the bezel mounts on the frame. I guess we have a better class of customer who don’t spray water into the bill validator. But if you feel the need drill them.

You might be able to get by wiping the validator out with a damp cloth to clean it if you do it once a week. But realistically that doesn’t happen. A good percentage of the validators we get in for repair have never been cleaned since they were installed and they are pretty sad. So you need a little more than a damp cloth to clean them.

Shorco1

Reaction score
Randy, the last time I had any verbal interchange with him was in early 2008. It was about the CFL lights that I installed on my vac islands. Once you start believing that the whole world is against you, you begin to justify your actions by the presumed hostility of the world. Mind you, it's a great way to not only make enemies, but also an excellent way of making people reject your beliefs and idealogy. He is very knowledgeable. However, if one disagrees with him he is demeaning and curt in his responses. I enjoy the forum immensely and the tremendous amount of information available to the operators and owners. I believe the Forum is about the exchange of ideas and knowledge and comradery and all the good things that come out of the Forum, not dealing with a persecution complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Etowah