What's new

Night shuttle launch March 15, 2009

Micah Savell

***** member since 2001
Reaction score
This picture wast taken last night (March 15, 2009) of the Shuttle launch as seen from my back yard. It was dark on the ground but as you can see the smoke trail it was still light but the evening colors were changing. It was truly beautiful and I only wish that I had grabbed my camera sooner.

I was unable to attach the file. I will try again later.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
Try uploading the picture to an image hosting service (I use imageshack.us, which is free), then post the image here via the forum link it provides. Attaching an image through the forum will always downsize it to a certain size.

jprb

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to see a night launch in 1990. It was awesome! I would recommend everyone trying to go see a launch. It's nothing like watching it on tv.

JPRB

mac

Reaction score
I happened to be at a night launch a few years ago at a nearby park. Even though we were about 20 miles away, you could hear and feel the vibrations from the exhaust. I can only imagine what it's like to ride on top.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
I was on business during the last Apollo moon shot. The President of this small compny owned a plane. Rules much less strict than today and we were within a few miles of launch pad at about 5000 ft. dodging other aircraft. After several delays and one refuel stop we had ignition (just before midnight) and it was spectacular to watch--this little plane just vibrated as we watched the vertical lift and then gradual turn. A friend took pics--none came out.

Ted

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
There is (or used to be) an IMAX show at the Luxor in Vegas which was a pretty good simulation of a Shuttle Lift Off. Been a couple years since I've been to Vegas so it may have changed by now. If not, I'd highly recommend it.