What's new

No More Twinkies!

cdreed06

Reaction score
No more Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Wonder bread, Cup Cakes.... This is madness. A big thank you to all involved. Sad sad sad. Whats next?

CRHAMEL

Reaction score
So.... twinkys have a shelf life of 15 years...wish our economy did....twinkeys have been around scenic the 20s. During the war time.. when they couldn't use sugar.. the filling was made out of bannas.. the product line morphed with the times... but the management failed the product line.
Maybe a little irony theirs....

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
The modern unions are very slow on the up take. This has happened many times before but the union bosses don't want the rank and file to understand that their actions have consequences. Where is the air traffic controller lead negotiator from the 80's. I worked in Charlotte when the union bosses convinced their members that they would win when warned that the Co. could not survive. The huge Eastern airlines evaporated over night--all jobs gone. Many others did same.

dumb!

MEP001

Reaction score
Honestly, I think we'd all be better off not eating crap like Twinkies. Did you know that a third of American kids 12 and up have pre-diabetes?

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I haven't had a twinkie since the 70's so i probably won't miss them, but
if the union helped with it-- it is sad. In our city the union has had crystal
sugar out on strike for a year, because they didn't want to pay $25 on health visits. The strikers have all but quit because they had to get new jobs.

cdreed06

Reaction score
Yes Twinkies are bad for us if we eat boxes at a time. 32 oz sodas are bad for us if we drink them constantly. Running out in front of trains is bad for us. I did have a Twinkie last week. Just one, my wife and I shared a package. I will miss them on the store shelf. I believe in unions, they have made things much better for the American worker. I also believe in using your head for something more than a hat rack.

MEP001

Reaction score
cdreed06 said:
Yes Twinkies are bad for us if we eat boxes at a time. 32 oz sodas are bad for us if we drink them constantly. Running out in front of trains is bad for us.
True, but with so much stuff available to snack on and parents with even less time than inclination to keep their kids from drinking and eating so much sugar, I don't see a great loss in one less junk food producing company.

It's funny how people complain about things like bans on trans-fat which is meant to protect us from ourselves but no one ever says "Hey, that railroad crossing gate is saving too many lives, let's take it down!"

seattleguy

Reaction score
This summer I was shocked when my boys (7,9,11) told me they had never had a Twinkie. I bought a box and they all thought they were gross. WTH is wrong with my kids??? I ate them all. They were incredible!

MikeV

Reaction score
I think some of you are missing the point here, its not whether twinkies are good or bad, its the fact that the unions have outlived their usefulness. They are the reason that so many cities, states and businesses are going under. How long can we sustain the outrageous demands of the Unions? This all started years ago when the unions made demands that companies could not meet and were forced to close. How many jobs are being lost due to union demands?

seattleguy

Reaction score
I think some of you are missing the point here, its not whether twinkies are good or bad, its the fact that the unions have outlived their usefulness. They are the reason that so many cities, states and businesses are going under. How long can we sustain the outrageous demands of the Unions? This all started years ago when the unions made demands that companies could not meet and were forced to close. How many jobs are being lost due to union demands?
Here is an alternative perspective http://seattletimes.com/html/soundeconomywithjontalton/2019696179_what_killed_hostess.html

MikeV

Reaction score
While it is true that poor management may have caused the demise of some companies, it is also true that unions have done the same. I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and worked at a steel mill there. Once a thriving community, it is now a sleepy little town. Partly due to the cheap influx of foreign imports, it is also partly true that the company could not compete because of the high union demands. Another nearby town appropriately named Ambridge...named for the American Bridge Company that once built most of the major bridges around the world closed it doors when the union went on strike after being told that if they did the company would have to close. They did and it did. It goes on and on. Look at the teachers union and how they have destroyed American education...we went from no. 1 to what...23rd in the world, or worse? How about a novel idea...a bucks worth for a buck.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
MikeV & others,

As long as the union factor for Twinkies came up ... another reality check should be to look at the following: http://www.cagw.org/assets/cagw-compensation-report-web-copy.pdf

It is a study that relates to data about the current reality of public vs private employees. It seems like non shared sacrifice advocating unions could put the rest of us at risk there too!

Same job ... major differences in pay for both women & men??? Should those facts be allowed to be ignored by some of the media?

mike

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
killing the golden goose column

http://thebsreport.wordpress.com/2012/11/20/columnist-of-the-day-thomas-sowell-killing-the-goose/

The below outlet bakery store about 5 blocks from our car wash made this factual column hit home. We personally knew some of the laid off workers & bought all our bread from this outlet. What I do not understand is the fact that the workers were not allowed photos be taken within the store by journalists or talk to anyone including us about the closing. I also know that a few years ago, the store did not take credit cards & had a thriving business despite of that fact. Since most of their transactions were small from neighborhood people it really did not make that much sense. 2 of the full time employees were agreeing with me that adding credit card acceptance was not necessary & that they were dissappointed that the company yielded to outside pressures to do so.

http://www.kfyrtv.com/Video_News.asp?news=60482

just another mike

seattleguy

Reaction score
I am tired of all the news reports that Twinkies will no longer be available. Of course the BK court will sell the rights and another company will start manufacturing.

seattleguy

Reaction score
While it is true that poor management may have caused the demise of some companies, it is also true that unions have done the same. I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and worked at a steel mill there. Once a thriving community, it is now a sleepy little town. Partly due to the cheap influx of foreign imports, it is also partly true that the company could not compete because of the high union demands. Another nearby town appropriately named Ambridge...named for the American Bridge Company that once built most of the major bridges around the world closed it doors when the union went on strike after being told that if they did the company would have to close. They did and it did. It goes on and on. Look at the teachers union and how they have destroyed American education...we went from no. 1 to what...23rd in the world, or worse? How about a novel idea...a bucks worth for a buck.
I read a story that our education ranking really hasn't changed. We are still #1 for higher education but actually never have been the best for overall lower education.