What's new

Orange, MA Break-in!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Typing this at 4:42 am, e.s.t.

At 11:30 pm some yahoos smashed my equip room door window and stole my tool box. The police arrived fast but did not catch them. Will check the video and see what is on there.

Here are some pictures. The first is self-explanatory; the second is where my tools used to be.

Attachments

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Waxman you can buy glass that has a film in between the glass that is almost impossible to break through.
I had a glass door I installed it in 12 yrs. ago and twice since then had have people try to break in. The glass cracked but they did not get in.
On the camera you can see them pounding away with a sledge hammer with no luck.
For a door it cost me around $500. I believe that the film is lexun but I'm not certain. You should definately ask around before replacing it with just glass, it's worht the cost.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thinking of welding a steel plate over the opening and painting it to look nice.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Waxman,

Sorry to hear about your break in :( Just the glass & toolbox, so that's not devastating.

I'm constantly looking at my wash from a burgulars standpoint. I have made a few improvements over the years...some based on other car wash break ins.

From the picture,this was just too easy for the guy...smash & grab.

You want a nice place and not having it look like a fortress, so it's still inviting, just not to crooks. So I like the unbreakable glass...and perhaps you can put a sticker on it indicating it's burglar proof glass.

Big

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Waxman,
Sorry to see what has happened at your wash, I believe I would get a metal door w/small window just enough to see thru, anything less is to inviting for the crooks we have today. Invest in best lock available.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My friend John suggested some steel mesh product for inner door glass area.

Looking int that.

thanks!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Tempered (what you had)is the burglars' preferred glass. Safety Laminated glass is what JMMustang is referring to. It is about 12.00/sq ft.. It has a layer of plastic sandwiched between two pieces of glass, just like a windshield. It will slow them down big time. Any glass company should stock it.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
How about putting a Rotweiler in the shop at night? :)

MEP001

Reaction score
The lock might have stopped them if it had been one they couldn't have opened by just reaching through. Replace it with a double-cylinder deadbolt. I agree with the laminated glass, and bars over the window will look better from inside than a plate welded over and still stop anyone from crawling through.

If you change the lock, be sure to drill out the Philips head so someone can't just reach through and remove the screws.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
UPDATE; Suspects arrested!!!

Two individuals were arrested last night and charged with a break-in in the next town over from me. Similar crime; caught on video throwing a rock thru a window. Will keep you posted.

MEP001

Reaction score
Unfortunately, unless they find your tools in their posession or they confess to the crime they probably won't prosecute them for the break-in at your wash too.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No prints taken.?

They hope to find my tools so they can prosecute for my breakin, too.

Wish me luck!

ps; they were 2 kids, only 18 years old.

Etowah