What's new

Oscillator motor/gearbox

washnvac

Reaction score
I just ordered an oscillator motor/gearbox. Guess what? The price actually went down $110! That is a big thumbs up to JC for bringing that down to a more realistic price.

dclark3344

Reaction score
What is the problem with your gearbox? I have repaired several of mine because the roll pin that holds the small gear on the motor shaft is sheared making the gear lock up on the housing.

washnvac

Reaction score
What is the problem with your gearbox?
Actually, it was the motor that went on this one. The gearbox is still in good shape, so I will save it. I am going to take the motor to a local shop to see if they can rewind. Once I get an estimate. I will decided if it is worth it.

Do you know why they wrap the motor with that canvass? It seems to me that would cause heat build up, and premature wear/ failure. I have taken them all off.

dclark3344

Reaction score
I think they wrap them to keep some of the water out. I have found a Lesson Stainless steel motor that replaces the drive wheel motor instead of the pot metal Baldor and it is cheaper also.

Reds

Reaction score
I think they wrap them to keep some of the water out. I have found a Lesson Stainless steel motor that replaces the drive wheel motor instead of the pot metal Baldor and it is cheaper also.
Could you give us more info on that Lesson motor? Model, etc?. I have replaced 2 oscillating motors in the last 6 monhts. Both of them the gears were striped. It seems like the gear on the motor shaft is steel and the bigger diameter ring gear is brass. The teeth on the brass gear were chewed right off as if the arms were stuck in position and the motor kept running, allowing the steel gear to strip the teeth off of the bigger gear.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
What is the new JC price? I bought one off my distributor about 4 months ago. I think it was around $450. Is it $110 less or $110 total. I also replaced a drive motor with a Baldor that was not the original JC Baldor. I think I posted the model # in different post. Funny, I might need another new one just today as another replacement. Just heard a funny hum coming from my left side drive motor and got two errors that the drive motor ran too long.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Actually, it was the motor that went on this one. The gearbox is still in good shape, so I will save it. I am going to take the motor to a local shop to see if they can rewind. Once I get an estimate. I will decided if it is worth it.

Do you know why they wrap the motor with that canvass? It seems to me that would cause heat build up, and premature wear/ failure. I have taken them all off.
I just got a quote to rewind these motors. My local guy wanted $250. I thought it would be better to buy a new motor.

washnvac

Reaction score
What is the new JC price? I bought one off my distributor about 4 months ago. I think it was around $450.
New price was $439 for motor/gearbox. Previously they were $550.

We are all trying to save money where we can right now, and I still think that $439 is high. But at least it went down. I took a gearbox to a local machine shop/ electric repair last year and they could not do anything with it. I did find a comparable motor/gearbox combo on Bodinedirect.com. Its price is $375, but the gearbox shaft was going to need a bit of modification. Since the JC part is only $64 more, I did not feel it was worth the hassel.

I did order an extra this time to keep on the shelf. Maybe that will be my insurance for one of them not to fail for a long time. :)

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I got a call from a friend who has been on the phone with reps from baldor. he finally got a parts list and cad drawing for the gearbox guts. Retail cost to replace gearbox internals is less than $100.00 I will try to scan and upload when I get a copy.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
cfcw,
This would be great if you could share this info. with other Coleman owners like myself.
I have tried several times to get the info. on these gear boxes with no success.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I got a call from a friend who has been on the phone with reps from baldor. he finally got a parts list and cad drawing for the gearbox guts. Retail cost to replace gearbox internals is less than $100.00 I will try to scan and upload when I get a copy.
Sounds great! Who do you order off of? I have local Baldor dealer. When I talked to Baldor direct they would not give me anything either.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
OK, guys take this for what it is worth. I have been sent three mechanical drawings of some gears. It does not show an exploded breakdown of the gearbox. On this sheet is handwritten "SR001095 and notes it includes the three parts in these drawings. The list price for these three parts is 83.00. So in theory you should be able to order the above-number to the Baldor dealer and get the three parts you need to rebuild the gearbox gears. Please be aware I have not tried this, so if any of you guys want to be the guinea pig and report back please do so. If anyone wants to see these drawings PM me They are in .pdf form, maybe Bill could stick them on this site. But they would only help if you just wanted to replace one component and needed the individual part number.

Reds

Reaction score
I was able to get the first one, but not the second one. My problem with gearboxes is that the worm gear (hardened) chews the teeth off of the gear (brass?) that it meshes with.

Reds

Reaction score
After getting the info I had the option of ordering the gear assembly (pinion & driven gear) for $69 or just the driven gear for $60. plus shipping. I mistakenly ordered just the driven gear (SR001095) and paid $63 for the brass gear, shaft, and 2 thrust washers. I only needed the driven gear but meant to order the whole shabang since it was only a few dollars more. The driven gear is the correct gear and shaft for the osc. motor gearbox.

Reds

Reaction score
The driven gear is the correct gear and shaft for the osc. motor gearbox.
For some reason I didn't have the option to edit my post - I wanted to add that I have not installed it yet, but it measures the same as the damaged gear. I will install it this week and post here as to how it fits. I don't want someone to order it based on what I have said when I have not installed it yet. Sorry, I jumped the gun by stating that it is the correct gear before installing it.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Do you think that you can go to Baldor and order a stock (not jc propriatary) motor to replace just the motor. I have two bad motors and they wanted $250 each to repair. I didn't think it was worth it but now I think I can spec out the motor (without the gear) add the gear and have at least one good one. What do you think?