What's new

Parking lot speeders

mac

Reaction score
I am right next to that overpriced Starbucks and many people every day cut through my lot to get to it. This way they don’t have to slow down and make a hard right. So I’ m thinking of putting down those concrete sections you see in many lots. Not worried about any legal aspects. Would just be fun to watch them zoom through and bust their oil pans. Thoughts?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I've observed that speed bumps slow them down - briefly - but dont solve the problem.
I installed 10" x 10" x 10' concrete blocks to stop the cut-thru speeders.
Theyve worked great for a long time (25 years). About once a month somebody drives over them anyway. Yes it often causes damage to the car, but only a few have tried to get me to pay for the damage.
I originally spiked them into the macadam with rebar, but every time somebody drove over it the rebar bent and it was a pain to get the block off the rebar, straighten the rebar, re-spike it in... so I got rid of the rebar. Now the problem is that the blocks sometimes get stuck under the car and moved. Which means I have to drag them back.
So yeah, nothing is easy.

Randy

Reaction score
It's to bad you don't see a trail of oil when the guy backs up in the video.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Do it!!!
I abhor speeders, & rip their A$$ !! Soon ascthey het smart, I threaten with a citizen's arrest, & call PD!

mac

Reaction score
While caliph the cops makes you feel good handling this yourself should get you better results.

Roz

Reaction score
Alternatively get some 30 or 55 gal containers, fill with water or sand, add a marketing cover over them, and then place in such a way that someone needs to make a slow turn around them to get between the lots. Then you can sell them a wash with their $6-$7 coffee (to go)...

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
several years ago I had a kid about 17 that pulled out of a wash bay smoking the wet tires to impress his friends, he lost control and hit one of my vacuum islands and actually totaled his car. There was a woman vacuuming her car and didn't even know what happened until she saw the smashed car and the steam and smoke from the wreck. Luckily, she and no one else was harmed. Just the kids pride. I called the police, and they wrote him up for a couple things, his dad came and told me I can just hammer out the dents in my vac and replace the pressure treated wood around my island, no big deal.
I told him I hope his kid isn't planning a career in NASCAR and I would send his insurance company a quote for the repairs.