What's new

Paying with Credit Cards in the Bay

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Anyone else doing this? We just got a site working well with the new Bay Pay system, just wondering if anyone else has CC in the bay and how they like it.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I take credit cards in all my bays. Best investment I ever made.

MEP001

Reaction score
We're running a Hamilton D.A.N. - customers love it, system has been mostly reliable, but fees are too high. Etowah Valley's system looks very appealing.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Anyone else doing this? We just got a site working well with the new Bay Pay system, just wondering if anyone else has CC in the bay and how they like it.
What CC company is the Bay Pay system?

oleshep

Senior
Reaction score
I have had Washcard for 3 years now. It has worked great since the day I installed it. There are a lot less quarters to count because cc usage is about 30% and climbing.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I'll be the buzzkill

I have a credit card system. Customers really like it, however, I don't think it has translated into significantly higher revenues. Fees to process approach 10%. I've had it in six full months now, will try to do some number crunching and see if I can attribute higher sales to it, but so far it hasn't been something I say is a "must have". BTW, the demographics in my neighborhood are as good as they get for CC use.

Etowah

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Ya all laugh now --- times --- they are a changin --- blowing in the wind!!!

I have a credit card system. Customers really like it, however, I don't think it has translated into significantly higher revenues. Fees to process approach 10%. I've had it in six full months now, will try to do some number crunching and see if I can attribute higher sales to it, but so far it hasn't been something I say is a "must have". BTW, the demographics in my neighborhood are as good as they get for CC use.
CFCW,

Thanks for giving your perceptions after 6 months. In the coin op laundry industry the cards tend to be more in house style magnetic cards. I still think that like I mentioned in my recent more focused post that transactions done with cell phones could potentially leap frog credit card & non contact RFID approaches. It will definitely take some serious collaboration strength & savvy to make it work though. Serious analysis of overall comparative costs will be a factor. I know a lot of people in our area that seem to have a stronger rapport with their cell phones than with their magnetic cards. I think it could be more responsible too; if they have a better ability to monitor their sometimes scary financial situation more often ---- keep in mind some of these people avoid computers but do use their cell phones!

MJ

mjc3333

Reaction score
cfcw

Do you count up, or count down. What brand CC system did you pick?

Mike

Happycarz

Reaction score
If you want to make money, count up. If you just want to be a nice guy to your customers, count down. What's the difference between adding more money or another swipe to get more time. Let them wash until they are done, without the beeper going off, and then they push the stop button. This is a much more relaxed experience for the customer, instead of playing "beat the clock.

MEP001

Reaction score
Happycarz in AZ said:
If you just want to be a nice guy to your customers, count down.
I don't even think that count down is the way to "happy customers." The vast majority of positive comments I get are that they don't have to keep going back to add money. Making them go back to swipe their card would be just as bothersome.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
It is an Etowah Valley System. I use count up. I tried count down for a while but felt it was too clumsy for use.

I opened my mouth so i will try to run some numbers soon to validate or dispel my opinion. The only way I feel I can do this is compare SS sales to IBA sales.

oleshep

Senior
Reaction score
If you want to make money, count up. If you just want to be a nice guy to your customers, count down. What's the difference between adding more money or another swipe to get more time. Let them wash until they are done, without the beeper going off, and then they push the stop button. This is a much more relaxed experience for the customer, instead of playing "beat the clock.
I agree with you. But just one more thing about count down. Every time the customer has to swipe the card there is another fee for them and for you.

MEP001

Reaction score
oleshep said:
I agree with you. But just one more thing about count down. Every time the customer has to swipe the card there is another fee for them and for you.
Not with all systems. Some batch the transactions every few hours and either have a one-time transaction fee for the batch or none at all, only a percentage.

soapy

Reaction score
I ran count down at 3 locations for 2 years. I recently brought another location on line for credit cards using count up. In the first month the new count up location did 3X as much CC business as the countdown locations. I have now switched all locations to count up.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
IMHO - the count up method is one of the best things about accepting credit cards. It allows the customer to wash at their leisure and pay for what they use. In other words, the customer dictates when they are done, not a silly timer on the wall beeping at them telling them to hurry up. Of course they could always stick another coin in the slot, and many do, but how many don't? Counting up is my preferred mode of operation.

Happy washing!