What's new

Powdered Presoak question

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
I finally got around to trying a powdered presoak. I am using Kleenrite Inbay Turbo Powder. It seems to be doing the job just fine. I have a 120 gallon mixing tank with a pretty good size motor on it. What I have noticed is when it mixes it creates a lot of foam in the tank the foam seems to never leave the top even after sitting for 24 hours ... it does reduce in size but I notice a lot of solid materials sort of floating on the top of with the foam. I don't let my hydrominder hose go all the way to the bottom of the tank but if I do it pulls in some particulate matter. It did not seem to clog the tip but I pulled the hose up from the bottom a couple of inches. I use hot water straight from the hot water heater which is set to 110 degrees when I mixed. One box makes 55 gal. I don't know the titration just yet as I am waiting on the titration kit to come in from back order. I am using a green tip.

Anyway...It does seem to work just fine but I am wondering about the solid matter that is floating and is also on the bottom of the tank....anyone else using this product or other products have the same issue and if so what if anything are you doing about it.? Thanks in advance.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If you are seeing solid matter on the top something is not right with the way you are mixing the solution. It could be that you are not using enough water creating a super saturated solution - I assume you are mixing with soft water - or the powder contains some insoluble ingredients or possibly clumps that are not dissolving completely. Foam residue on the top is not a big concern but if you are mixing the solution intermittently - at least once a day - there should not be a lot of foam.

Randy

Reaction score
We use the Kleen-Rite Turbo Powder as our S/S Presoak. http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-3241...der-50lbs.aspx We like the Turbo powder because it cleans well, has a lot of surfactant in it, it mixes well and stays in solution. I’ve never had a problem with dropping out of solution or getting any kind of crud of top of it. I mix it in small 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon container, I don’t have room in my equipment for a 55 gallon drum. I mix 72.5 oz. of Turbo powder for every 5 gallons of water and add 44 oz. of JBS Fonic to each 5 gallon batch. When I get down to about 2 gallons I mix up another 5 gallon batch on top of that. The key to mixing it up is to mix it the same every time. It doesn’t take much time, maybe 10 minutes to mix up a batch. It works out great.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Randy is doing it exactly as it should be done. Always premix solutions at the same dilution rate then add to your tank. If you continuously mix in the tank you will eventually get a super saturated solution which means no more powder can go into solution and the excess will sink to the bottom. In the event that has happened gradually add water to the tank and mix until the solution is back in balance. It is also not a good idea to mix different powders especially if they have different dilution ratios. It is also possible to create a super saturation with additives. If you feel you need to add a foam or alkaline boost test it out in a small batch first to make sure they are compatible with the product you are using. One word of caution - by the time you add a boost you may have increased the cost to a point where it would be worth while to see if there is still a cost saving.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
So I left my mixer on a bit longer and it seems to have cleared up the stuff floating on top...also I went to the kleenrite web site and opened the chat window option....I had never used that before....I asked them what titration kit they recommended for the Kleenrite Turbo Powder since that is what I was using. The indicated item NACTK. So I then went onto the site and looked it up...here is what it showed.

TITRATION KIT (NATIONAL)

Manufacturer: Other
Part #: NACTK
$19.99

I ordered 2. Well it came today.....4 large boxes....two with about 30 or 40 pounds of Powder and two with about a gallon of liquid. I am thinking what the heck....how much titration will I need....I have never titrated any of my soaps so what do I know....I do use a hardness kit and I was thinking along those lines....well I read the label on the jug of liquid which looks like it has been in a warehouse for 100 years and this is a kit to make 55 gallons of presoak. LOL what a hoot.....I should have suspected something when it appeared on the blowout specials .......guess I will be calling them tomorrow to see if they want it back cause I aint using it....I need a titration kit .......

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Titration is the best way to get a snapshot of what the dilution rate is. I recommend taking several within days of each other to make sure the reading you are getting is accurate. Be careful about titration kits. The chemicals used in titration have a expiration date after which they are not very accurate.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Titration is the best way to get a snapshot of what the dilution rate is. I recommend taking several within days of each other to make sure the reading you are getting is accurate. Be careful about titration kits. The chemicals used in titration have a expiration date after which they are not very accurate.
Yeah I want to titrate but I found it really amusing that after asking kleentire what kit the recommended to titrate their turbo powder presoak instead of getting a titration kit I get some outdated kit to make 55 gallons of presoak...not what I ordered....at least it was cheap...

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
why not keep it and use it somewhere if the price was right?

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Well the price was right ..... what they sent was kit to make presoak not titrate presoak. I called them today and we sorted it out. Bottom line the kits they sent are made by National and are about $130 each and make 55gal of presoak ... it cost them more to ship it than what they charged me total.....LOL.....what I was supposed to get was the titration kit which is only $20 bucks. It makes me think that the kleenrite turbo powder might be made by National since that is the titration kit they recommended.....does anyone know if that is the case?