What's new

Price for an oil change?

packerscw

Reaction score
Just wondering how much that you do an oil change for these days?
(Valvoline 5qts?
(Mobil 1 5qts?
(Quaker State 5qts?
(Valvoline SynPower 5qts?

thanks in advance

8flyer

Reaction score
I'm $37 mobil conventional
$22 more for synthetic

P.S. Don't tell the AOCA though. I could be accused of price fixing! LOL

richcase

Reaction score
Packerscw,

I was doing some diligence at some local units here, I have an 09 F-150 5.4 that takes about 8 qts of mobile 1. They charged me about $8/qt alone, ended up paying about $112 for just the oil change. I didn't ask them if they had a less costly alternative, nor did they offer.

Now I know why I typically do my own maintenance. :)

packerscw

Reaction score
Packerscw,

I was doing some diligence at some local units here, I have an 09 F-150 5.4 that takes about 8 qts of mobile 1. They charged me about $8/qt alone, ended up paying about $112 for just the oil change. I didn't ask them if they had a less costly alternative, nor did they offer.

Now I know why I typically do my own maintenance. :)
Wow that seems kinda steep for an oil change, Mobil 1 price/qt is about right but I dont see where they came up with the rest of the total.hmm

bighead

Reaction score
We would be $88.

But i'm also 90% sure your truck only takes 7 quarts.

With 7, we would be $80

KWIK

Reaction score
Conv oil $36.99 plus $2.75 waste disposal/SS..

Full Synthetic $62.99 up to 5qts

Mobil 1 with 8 qts is $89.99 at my shop.

Focus on quality products and service and the rest will come.
My family and I own the #1 Kwik Kar Lube & Tune/Wash out of all locations(400). Price isn't where we kill our completion it's all in the details.

also look at your price margins on Air Filters and other additives. I've been really busy with other shops I'm consulting with there margins. You'll be surprised what you learn.

PM me if you need any help...

richcase

Reaction score
Yeah, couldn't recall if it was 7 or 8, guess I was just in sticker shock. I just tried to find the receipt (which I should've kept) with no luck. Not really sure how it got up over the $100 mark in hindsight, am curious now though.

hkim310

Reaction score
$39.99 here for our house brand semi synthetic oil and $75 for Mobile 1 Full Synthetic (up to 5 quarts for both oil changes)

Scrub Free

Reaction score
Mobil 1 I typically charge 10.00 per quart
standard filter 5.00
Labor 10.00
Includes waste disposal and shop supplies

MEP001

Reaction score
I've been told to go to WalMart where just an oil change with filter (no other services) is $19.95. As it turns out they don't change the oil filter every time, they scrawl a date on it and change it after 6 months.

Randy

Reaction score
I change my own oil, costs me about $10 and I know it’s done right. I’d never go to a lube shop, they hire the dumbest people they can find and pay most them minimum wage. A friend of mine took his diesel pickup to the local lube shop, they changed his oil but forgot to put the drain plug back in, he made it 2 blocks before the engine seized up. A course they denied they left the drain plug out so it got pretty ugly. They ended up buying him a new engine in the end.

Scrub Free

Reaction score
I own a full service repair shop and are competitive with oil changes. We're only open Monday to Friday so many customers we see are hitting quick lubes. What we find is the customers that are loyal to us with oil change service have a lower cost of maintenance because we are monitoring the car correctly, not just selling air filters. The cars we see once a year are typically unsafe legitimate unsafe and require thousands to put back in to marginal condition. Someday I want to do a quick lube with trained techs to act as a feeder for my carwash and repair shop.