What's new

Recovering Credit Card Fees

U Wash

Joe Dirt
Reaction score
The new banking law from 2008 allows for the Retailer to recover their credit card processing fees by adding a percentage to the bill. When the new programs are developed for processing the new CHIP CARDS, it would be nice if all the manufacturers place an option allowing for a percentage to be added into every transaction being processed.

Many debit cards have swipe fees up to 45 cents to process a charge. Another option would be to reject high swipe fee debit cards or add that fee to the charge.

How about one of the trade journals running an independent article explaining what could be programmed on this major change over. According to the customer relations director of the manufacturer of my automatic processor, I can expect more fees for PCI compliance, and security fee charges. I feel it is time we had options in our processors to recover these fees.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If I ran the Zoo users would pay their fees for most everything. This includes any credit card user paying all direct transaction fees and percentages. It's the equitable way to handle it.

Randy

Reaction score
The newer Hamilton Goldline ACW’s and HTK’s already have that option. I got a new credit card yesterday, it's got a chip in it.

chaz

Reaction score
I typically use my cc for all purchases over $3. Quite frankly I like getting the points. I do not pay cc user fees, as I feel the cc fees are simply a part of doing business. I do not charge a cc convenience fee, nor do I offer a cash discount it's just all built into my pricing, so I guess it evens out in the end. If at all possible I avoid doing business with those that pass on the cc fees.

Reds

Reaction score
I make less on credit transactions and would like to charge cc user fee. Why should I make less on washes paid with credit? Why should cash customers pay extra to make up for the credit fees.

chaz

Reaction score
Credit cards and the fees associated are simply part of doing business. Likely you enjoy using a credit card, and would not be thrilled paying the fees when you do so. So yes, I guess the cash customer helps supplement the c/c customer. Also, the c/c transactions results in less cash handling and counting at my end.