What's new

Saving this '02 Taurus clear coat

Ron Swanson

Reaction score
I've got this '02 Taurus that has aged unusually badly on the hood roof and trunk top, and if I can just get these parts addressed the car will look so much better. I'm not aiming for anything close to perfect...just trying to make these look better so your eye isn't drawn right to them. Rest of the body's paint isn't bad at all.

Hopefully what I'm seeing here is just the clear coat failing and all it needs is a sanding, 2k clear applied, some high grit sanding, and buffing. The directions I've found so far are to first sand with 600 all over and especially over where the edge of the clear is peeling up. Clear coat, sand with 1500, then buff. Sound about right? If it's so far degraded that it actually needs some color work, it's ok I'd rather not deal with that part. I just want to throw about $100 bucks at it and if it looks better then I'll be happy.

Any suggestions on how I should approach this? Thanks.

IMG-1195.JPG

IMG-1199.JPG

MEP001

Reaction score
I suggest you look for a Facebook page or forum that specializes in personal vehicle detailing/polishing. This is a forum for professional owner/operators helping other professional owner/operators.

Your paint is f**ked. You can't fix it aside from taking it down to metal.

Ron Swanson

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Last thing. If I order some base color coat from touchupdirect, do I have to use THEIR 2K clear or can I use a different brand like Dupli-Color?

Last edited:

OurTown

Reaction score
Take it to Earl Scheib auto painting and get the $399 special

They are long gone but Maaco is around and has a $699 enamel paint job. Base/clear is close to 2 grand now. I took my van there and they wanted over $12,000 to do bodywork and one part urethane paint. Nope. Hard pass. Things have gotten out of hand everywhere.

MEP001

Reaction score
Maaco doesn't do a very good paint job for the money. The $699 job looks like my ass and won't last five years.