What's new

Scrap the Aluminum Rails

Etowah

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah; lets see some pics and get some address info, because I think many of us w/guide rails could use this idea! Great.

Thanks!

dclark3344

Reaction score
I will try to get you a picture this week. The "Recycled Plastics Man" is where I got the best deal on a solid plastic "car stop" block AKA parking block as they are called in Oklahoma. You can google him and order them in gray, yellow, blue, or black. They are solid plastic and solid color. I think he is a small operator and makes his products as ordered. http://www.recycledplasticsman.com

dclark3344

Reaction score
Posted pics of my solid plastic parking blocks, that I used to replace the aluminum rails that damage rims and catch customers tires causing them to pull into the rail and jump over them. I shared this with one of the Colemans at the Las Vegas show but they are too smart to listen to their customers. They could save a lot of money with these blocks in place of the expensive aluminum rails that are also costly to ship and install. I have used these for 2 years and have increased customer satisfaction, while eliminating damaged rims. The tires tend to slid off these blocks and push the steering wheel away from the blocks. I have not seen anyone jump these blocks and only a couple of pickups with the very large tires drive up on them tilting the mirrors away from the gantry.

Attachments

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have a couple of older Mark VIIs that have the steel rails and they are finally collapsing to the floor. Are you still as sold on this setup as you were last year.

mac

Reaction score
I recently installed some in a drive through tunnell at a car rental agency. The people love them so far.

dclark3344

Reaction score
I have a couple of older Mark VIIs that have the steel rails and they are finally collapsing to the floor. Are you still as sold on this setup as you were last year.
Couldn't be happier, unless I had done it before I opened, you only get one chance at a first impression..... They LOOK better, they clean easier, THEY DO NOT DAMAGE RIMS. I have a friend with a BMW 745 IL that got his rim nicked here before I made the change. I have a lot of football players that have the fancy rims that come here also and they would have to hang out of their car to watch the rails BEFORE I made the change.
A whole lot less jumping the rail. They tend to push the tire (and steering wheel) away instead of grapping and pulling like the rails did. The tires will slide down the blocks if someone is slightly trying to run up on them.
I even showed Jim Coleman these pics in LasVegas, but what do I know I am just an owner.
My customers have thanked me for getting rid of the rails.
These blocks are solid plastic not to be mistaken for the hallow plastic and rubber ones out there. They are undestructible, unaffected by the chemicals and cannot be damaged or moved by tires and wheels.

dclark3344

Reaction score
I think it makes it easier to wash down because it acts as a curb or gutter. I just wash it down to where there is a gap in the blocks next to the pit, then wash it right in. When washing with the pipe rails it seemed like is was more trouble to wash it under the pipe and the track far enough so you didn't blow it back when trying to get the dirt to the pit. In a 40 foot bay with a 8 foot pit it was a pain. It is much easier to just wash out the middle with out blowing the leaves and mud under the track and rails.

dclark3344

Reaction score
I laid them out in the bay where I only had to cut one block on each side for the photo eyes. It ended up being about 6 inches between each block. Look at my pics and you can see the gaps are not very large.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Want to pull the trigger on these soon.

What did you pay per block?

I think I need 6 total.

washnvac

Reaction score
Was revisiting this thread, as I have had an issue lately with rail jumpers.

The website for this company now is: www.recycledplasticfactory.com

For some reason, I can not pull up the pictures. Clark- did you use the 6" car wheel stop ($46) or the 8" truck wheel stops ($215). Big difference in price. I assume the 6" car stop. Did you also dump the photo eyes for treadle switches?

Thanks.

washnvac

Reaction score
Thanks I.B. That does help. Are those the 6 or 8 inch. It is a little hard to tell in your pic.

mac

Reaction score
I just did a couple of 50' drive through tunnells ( used in the rental car business here) with the 6" ones and they are working fine. If you order some, tell Faye "Hi" from Mac.