What's new

Should I add a second iba that matches the first iba

carguy

Reaction score
I currently have a 7 year old Oasis Typhoon. I have a self serve slot that would work to add a second iba. I was thinking about adding a second Oasis Typhoon or a Karcher.

In your opinion, why should I add a Typhoon versus a Karcher (or vice versa) for the second iba. I am wondering if having two different iba's would hurt instead of help my business. What are your experiences of having two different touchless ibas in the same wash?

Thanks for the advice.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I would add a friction automatic. There are many good ones out there right now. Find one that has a good distributor in your area.

carguy

Reaction score
I am shying away from a friction automatic as there is a tunnel down the street and 50% of my business are trucks that are out in the dirt/fields.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I think you need to think about it a little more. If you go to a friction automatic you may pick up some of their customers. While you may be getting some business with your touch free you are probably losing some that want more consistent results that friction gives. While I think the Typhoon is one of the best touch free automatics out there no touch free automatic can compete as far as consistent cleaning with a friction tunnel or even a friction automatic.

carguy

Reaction score
I will process the option of having a friction automatic and a touchless.

I would still like to hear from those who have two different touchless automatics and what they have learned by that experience.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
From my experience the number of people that prefer one over or the other is in the minority. For years operators had been led to believe that motorists prefer touch free over friction fearing damage. While this may have been true early on before cloth and foam began to replace brushes but for some time now I think motorists have become more interested in getting a clean, dry vehicle than how it is done. They tend to assume that a car wash is not going to damage their vehicle.

I have been at locations offering both all around the country and found that customers usually choose the one that is either the easiest to drive into (depending on how tight a turn they might have to make) or the one with the smallest line if there is a line. The difference in your case is that you are in competition with a friction tunnel as well. I knew a touch free automatic operator that had a friction tunnel built near by and lost quite a bit of business. He tried even lowering his price to beat the competition but that didn't help. He decided to take out the touch free automatic and replace it with a friction automatic and not only got his volume back but also saw an increase. I don't feel this was an exception to the rule. I certainly have nothing against touch free automatics - especially ones that are set up right and perform well - but the reality is they simply cannot compete with a friction tunnel as far as consistent performance.

JustClean

Reaction score
I have two automatics: a brush machine and after 5 years trying to educate my customers about the benefit of a touchless I gave up and added a touchless. The touchless is doing now about 30% more than the brush. However, my brush is out of service at the moment and I see people driving away as they don't want to use the touchless. I asked 2 or 3 why they don't want to use it: "...because a touchless doesn't clean the car!". Hmm...
Anyway, I would give your customers the choice. And if I had to do it again I would again put two different machines in...and definitely not one that is out of galvanized steel. cheers Justclean

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“I currently have a 7 year old Oasis…..thinking about adding a second Oasis…”

“Why should I add a Typhoon versus a Karcher (or vice versa) for the second iba.”

Regardless of make, model or process, operators typically add a second in-bay to an existing wash when the risk of generating sufficient sales can be mitigated.

Moreover, the current wash unit is approaching the end of its useful expected life. So, in addition to capital investment for a second unit, you might as well figure in the expense of reloading the existing bay.

“….having two different iba's would hurt instead of help my business (?)”

If you don’t generate sufficient sales, the results from adding the second in-bay could be catastrophic.

“What are your experiences of having two different touchless ibas in the same wash?”

Most of the operators I know with dual in-bays (all built new) have had good experiences because they have sufficient volume.

Since you already have the electricity & water capacity to feed a hog like the Typhoon, you may want to consider reload with inexpensive inverted-L for trucks and add friction/hybrid as second unit.

Or you might consider building extension and adopt in-bay express format so you can have touch-less and friction and combination in one bay and there is no need for two in-bays.

In other words, I would approach this as if you were building new.

Decision one is should I build. Answer comes from sales assessment.

Decision two is what store characteristics to choose (i.e. process, services). Answer comes from share or customer segment models (i.e. customer survey).

BBE

Reaction score
I wouldn't do 2 different touchless iba's. If you were going to do 2 different automatics, go with a friction next to it. Otherwise if you want to stay all touchless, at least stick with the same machine so that all of the parts are the same across both machines. If your gonna have to learn how to work on a whole new wash, and carry spare parts for a whole new one, it might as well be one where you are going to attract new and different customers, not the same ones.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Question I have not seen mentioned is do you have the demand to add a second unit? Are you losing cars due to long lines? Or are you just looking to do something different to draw in more cars? I went against opposition and took out an underperforming 45' express tunnel and installed a Washworld High Velocity touchless auto. First year wash count up 60%, best first 3 months in 10 years so far this year. If growth continues I will add a second Auto. I would install same machine to minimize spare parts on hand, vendors and keep things uniform. Just my thoughts and opinion.

carguy

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. I do believe different people like different wash experiences (touchless and friction). I believe there is a sufficient demand for a second automatic as the first has a significant line.

It does make sense to have the same touchless machines for parts and repairs.

I will continue to ask my customers and fleet sales to get their response about adding a friction versus an identical touchless.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
It is probably a good idea to know how your current customers feel but the ones you really need to think about are those that aren't your customers that you would like to attract. Seems that at least some of the customers of the tunnel wash go there because they like friction wash results as opposed to touch free. I think you should consider what is the best way to increase volume rather than make operation of your wash a little easier. While it would be convenient for you to have two identical washes for maintenance and parts I would think the only real reason to have identical washes would be if you are experiencing a large number of drive offs due to the wait time. Otherwise I think it makes more sense to offer a friction wash as an alternative form of wash for potential new customers that may be using the tunnel down the street.

gsgriffin

Reaction score
As far as a specific machine, I would shy away from a Karcher. Don't get me wrong, the two I had washed Great! But the repair expense was killing me. Anything that breaks costs 2 - 3 times as much as a competing brand. And the knowledge base from distributors is very limited and the equipment seems far more complex and specialized. So after suffering through a few years of significant downtime and significant repair/maintenance costs, we have replaced both of our Karcher units (one touch and one touch less). Our repair and maintenance expense dropped 62%.

Griffin

wash4me

Reaction score
What did you replace them with?

As far as a specific machine, I would shy away from a Karcher. Don't get me wrong, the two I had washed Great! But the repair expense was killing me. Anything that breaks costs 2 - 3 times as much as a competing brand. And the knowledge base from distributors is very limited and the equipment seems far more complex and specialized. So after suffering through a few years of significant downtime and significant repair/maintenance costs, we have replaced both of our Karcher units (one touch and one touch less). Our repair and maintenance expense dropped 62%.

Griffin

jimbeaux

Reaction score
Somthing you also need to look at is the friction wash will cost you less to operate. You will be paying less water & sewer fees. We just pulled out a touchless and installed a friction wash and have doubled the income we had with the touchless. We are producing a very clean vehicle. Customers are happy, We are happy!

washnshine

Reaction score
I currently have a 7 year old Oasis Typhoon. I have a self serve slot that would work to add a second iba. I was thinking about adding a second Oasis Typhoon or a Karcher.

In your opinion, why should I add a Typhoon versus a Karcher (or vice versa) for the second iba. I am wondering if having two different iba's would hurt instead of help my business. What are your experiences of having two different touchless ibas in the same wash?

Thanks for the advice.
I've seen a location where a second, new touchless machine of a different brand was added. It was a far superior machine - because of the advancements in technology and performance and it siphoned all the business from the pre-existing touchless. People knew one machine was new and one was not. Since they were both touchless, most people just gravitated to the next bay - it was the same customer base. If the operator had put in a friction, those opting for the touchless would have remained and those wanting something different would have used the friction.

The only time I have seen multiple IBA's of the same machine type equally successful was when they were both installed together and had the exact same machine in each bay. Having a "new" and "old" touchless or friction would just turn people away from the older machine. My opinion would be to leverage all of your options and appeal to both types of customers.

seattleguy

Reaction score
I have a Wash World Razor and a Ryko. Ryko does about a third more volume than touchless. That being said, I am glad I have both cause some customers will only use one of them and are loyal.

BBE

Reaction score
I have a Wash World Razor and a Ryko. Ryko does about a third more volume than touchless. That being said, I am glad I have both cause some customers will only use one of them and are loyal.
Curious, which one did you have first? What is the competition in your area that would lead your friction to be more popular than your touchless?