What's new

Shurvend Visi-Combo or 51 Selection?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I'm on the fence on whether I want to go with the new Visi-Combo or 51 selection machine for one of my washes. I'm tired of all the mechanical vendors I have hanging everywhere and want to add a little upgrade with an electronic vendor that can carry a big selection for my customers.

Now that I'm looking seriously into getting a Shurvend, I'm not certain what deciding factors I should use to pick either the one that can dispense sodas or one that offers even more of a selection for vending items.

Other than a visi using more power than a 51, what marketing type factors should I be considering to make a decision?

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I have 4 combo machines and a 51 selection machine. For us with so many months of winter the sodas are slower sellers in winter. I would look at how many sodas you can sell, and How much do you want to look for soda on sale, the stuff has really gotten expensive lately. Having lost the commission on my coke machines was a deciding factor for us as i average about 3 sodas a day.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Thanks for that input Whale. I didn't even consider the winter months and lack of selling any sodas. Makes the 51 selection look even better....more air freshners and other junk I can throw in there.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
You could make an argument the extra cost to cool the unit will offset much of any profits of beverage sales. I made some money on sodas but in the end considered it more of a convenience for the customer. My attendants and I were by far my biggest customers, buying lots of water and gatorade in the hot months.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Good point cfcw. I was thinking about this last night and I figured my 4 kids would be my biggest customers for the cold stuff. Not that they couldn't go to the fridge in the workshop to get the same thing, they would just think it so neat to put quarters in, make a selection, and watch the item drop. I think I'll go with the 51 selection vendor, probably be more profitable for my situation. Thanks!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I chose the combo unit. I like that it provides more choices. I have a detail shop and as long as I keep Mountain Dew in there I am selling soft drinks.:)

You can also sell candy, cookies, crackers, etc. I'm planning to try energy drinks cause people will pay more for them than regular pop.:D I heard Yoo Hoo sells, so will also try that.

It's nice to have plenty of vending selections for customers and since you only have to cool the bottom 2 rows of drinks, the unit is likely more efficient than a full size soda only machine.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Jeff,

I went with a 51 selection machine before Shur Vend was popular about 13 years ago. I have 30 different little tree selections.The most any other wash comes close is 10. I keep the "best sellers" always available, but have the odd ball selection that changes every 2-4 months. I never have a "bad" selling fragrance. The other 21 items are the basics, towels, armor all, tire foam, rain x wipes, window wipes, etc.

I had a soda machine at one location and the sales were only ok. It was Coca - Cola's machine that I filled and they ended up profiting from. It was non existent in the winter and alright in the summer. I ended up having them take it back.

To me there is more profit in the car wash vending items.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It should be about what sells as well as about what the customer is best served by. A balance between those two elements seems like the 'home run' here.

For example; You sell only 6 yoo hoo's a month. Not a gangbuster in the combo vendor by any means. However, the customer who buys 5 outta 6 of those Yoo Hoo's does so after she spends $4 prepping her Escalade in the SS and another $9 on the touchfree. She vacs the Caddy and also gets a 'hunky hillbilly' near-nude air freshner ($2). She likes a clean interior, so she armor~alls it, too. To top off her experience, she buys and downs a Yoo Hoo and she loves this because who the heck sells her favorite, non-dairy chocolatey soft drink in a vending machine besides this carwash? nobody; that's who else!

In this scenario, the slow-mover in the vendor is part of a money-making series of sales at the carwash for this particular customer.

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman said:
In this scenario, the slow-mover in the vendor is part of a money-making series of sales at the carwash for this particular customer.
I agree; we still only have drop-shelf vendors, but I wanted to offer as complete a selection of car cleaning supplies as I could, so I added Simoniz cleaning wipes pack to one. The sales aren't great, but I've noticed that the people who buy them nearly always buy at least one wet towel for their windows and at least one Armor-All product.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I certainly appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback on the topic. I understand the money making process to include all the extra things that go together such as wet and dry towels, etc.. I'm going to go with the 51 selection for now. Thanks!