What's new

Sonnys Washscape

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
You're a couple years too late. The bottom has fallen out of the industry. Loans are very difficult to obtain and very expensive if you can. Many areas of the country have been over-saturated with express washes. FL is one of them.

It's very difficult for newbs now.

traveler17

Reaction score
Do you have any experience in the any part of the carwash industry or Are you looking to build because you see them going up everywhere and think it’s going to be a cash cow and easy money? Post above is accurate, market is saturated. Not being negative just asking. This forum is an excellent source of info so if you give more background you will hear honest opinions on what you’re looking for.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you are a first time builder a program like Sonny's is well worth it. This solves an issue of ar Washes being a unique animal and Contractors, Plumbers, mason's , architects etc. without car wash building experience don't know unique requirements of this type of operation wihch will result in headaches later.

OurTown

Reaction score
If you are a first time builder a program like Sonny's is well worth it. This solves an issue of ar Washes being a unique animal and Contractors, Plumbers, mason's , architects etc. without car wash building experience don't know unique requirements of this type of operation wihch will result in headaches later.
I'm dealing with this with my general contractor right now. I'm trying to help the contractor and subs as much as possible with info from my experience, my equipment distributor and from you guys on here. The issues really started with the architect (actually on my third one which is really the problem) and got worse from there with the contractor having never built a car wash. I'm pulling my hair out on a daily basis on this project but there's not much to pull anymore!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Had to deal with a GC recently/ Stuf they don't know and got wrong.

1. Break Tank Set up Tank and Pump Size valves etc. I sent them to another location to see what was there.
2. Spec'd Drywall in the tunnel and then said they would use "Green board" when I complained. Later agreed to do cement board in the small area.
3. All electrical to be heavy wall - not thin wall.
4. Did not know code required non Combustible material - No Wood.
5. Did not spec out corrosion resistant fixtures like exit signs - Aluminum and Stainless in Tunnel.
6. Put electrical disconnects in area where water would pour on them.
7. Did not separate - Different rooms if possible any electrical Electrical (Motor Controls, Tunnel Controller) from water/ liquid sources
8. Decided to make a roof penetration directly above Circuit breaker box so any leak would travel directly down conduit into Box - Instead of bringing it in though a wall .
7. Inadequate exhaust / ventilation in rooms with equipment like air compressors to keep heat down.
8. Area heaters positioned where they needlessly suck in moisture laden air where they could easily be positioned elsewhere.

It might also seem to some contractors things are over sized but duty cycles and temperature's can be extreme.

OurTown

Reaction score
Had to deal with a GC recently/ Stuf they don't know and got wrong.

1. Break Tank Set up Tank and Pump Size valves etc. I sent them to another location to see what was there.
2. Spec'd Drywall in the tunnel and then said they would use "Green board" when I complained. Later agreed to do cement board in the small area.
3. All electrical to be heavy wall - not thin wall.
4. Did not know code required non Combustible material - No Wood.
5. Did not spec out corrosion resistant fixtures like exit signs - Aluminum and Stainless in Tunnel.
6. Put electrical disconnects in area where water would pour on them.
7. Did not separate - Different rooms if possible any electrical Electrical (Motor Controls, Tunnel Controller) from water/ liquid sources
8. Decided to make a roof penetration directly above Circuit breaker box so any leak would travel directly down conduit into Box - Instead of bringing it in though a wall .
7. Inadequate exhaust / ventilation in rooms with equipment like air compressors to keep heat down.
8. Area heaters positioned where they needlessly suck in moisture laden air where they could easily be positioned elsewhere.

It might also seem to some contractors things are over sized but duty cycles and temperature's can be extreme.

I have a list similar to yours but it is pretty long. Since our drawings were not detailed enough we are designing as we go along which of course is expensive, time consuming and there are some compromises.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I'm dealing with this with my general contractor right now. I'm trying to help the contractor and subs as much as possible with info from my experience, my equipment distributor and from you guys on here. The issues really started with the architect (actually on my third one which is really the problem) and got worse from there with the contractor having never built a car wash. I'm pulling my hair out on a daily basis on this project but there's not much to pull anymore!
What are you building? New tunnel?

Etowah