What's new

speeders

MudMoney

Reaction score
My lot is 300 feet deep and customers must drive the length of it to turn like a horseshoe to enter the bays. To some the 300 ft is a mini drag strip. I'm repaving the entire lot and adding concrete to high use areas.I want to slow down the speeders,speed bumps are an option but I see problems with snow removal tearing out the bumps.Other option is dips carved out,any suggestions before I add x-mas tree drag lites to lower their times,lol.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you can post a 5mph speed limit sign but they won't obey it.

pgrzes

Reaction score
If you are repaving put the bigger speed humps in. They are not higher but longer then a regular speed bump. If they do it without a seam plowing wont be a problem. I have 3 bays that people cut through as I have entrances on both side of my lot, people cut through all the time. I put speed bumps in and its helped immensely. I have to redo them as I ripped them out plowing this year!!!! It was a tough year on asphalt and concrete.

Eric H

Reaction score
I've had problems with this too as well as speeding thru the bays after vacuuming in the rear of the lot. These issues tend to go in cycles. it will be a problem for a few months to a few years and then suddenly you will notice that it has been months since you had to speak to someone about speeding or loud music. Right now I am dealing with everyone that thinks it is OK to smoke pot in public because it has been decriminalized on our state.
But back to your original issue, If it is a group of regulars I think you may be able to approach them and ask them to slow down. A more passive aggressive way to deal with it is to toss a kids toy out in front of them when they are speeding in you direction. I used that tactic at my house when the high school kids you use the road as a cut thru after school let out. I could hear the car coming too fast and would launch a ball out of the driveway into the road. After a few times they would just drive by at regular speed. The neighborhood had already had the police put the speed clock trailer on our road with no improvement.
The dips and speed bumps are just an inconvenience and added expense to you. Is There a way that you could put some cones up to make the 300' less of a straight shot?

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I suppose the problem is all the pot butts all over.
I have one wash with a large lot and two buildings of washing.
When it comes to the speeders. Aspirin, or alcohol. I am serious as you can't train people. They have been thru 12-16 yrs of school and these people are the finished product. Just make sure you're not the one they hit.

Eric H

Reaction score
Just curious, if it is not illegal, why are you worried about it?
It is not legal, but possession of less than 1 ounce only carries a fine. The low life losers hear this as "It is legal to smoke pot in public" which it isn't. On top of that this stuff smells terrible. The stuff I used to smoke in college 20 years ago smelled bad enough, but todays really good stuff smells terrible but gets you high as a kite, or so I'm told. It has become a real problem in this area, along with heroine use. I hate being at a stop light and get a whiff of the stuff and look in my rear view mirror and see the tell tale dark smoke coming from the car behind me.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score

MudMoney

Reaction score
I'm going to go with the higher speed bumps and mark the ends with flags to raise the plow.I plow and sweep my lots hopefully I'm careful next winter.Contractor starts laying down concrete next month,starts my major upgrade to the tune of $ 100,00.It will be worth it !

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to go with the higher speed bumps and mark the ends with flags to raise the plow.I plow and sweep my lots hopefully I'm careful next winter.Contractor starts laying down concrete next month,starts my major upgrade to the tune of $ 100,00.It will be worth it !

i think speed bumps are a really bad idea. while they may prove effective in reducing speeding at the car wash, they are going to be a real pain to plow over.

i'd rather see you spend a few bucks on signs followed by some hands-on enforcement of your speed limit.

Etowah