What's new

Stringing - Des Moines, IA

teamplex65

Reaction score
Our Hamilton Goldlines were strung last night.

Changer appeared to shut down immedeatly when they tried it and didnt dispense any change.

2 Minutes later I get a notice that the East Auto hopper is empty. 2 minutes after that I get notified that the West hopper is empty.

This morning when i arrive I notice the East auto has a $20 credit, but no $20 bills in the acceptor.

2 questions
--------------

1. During normal use the hoppers seem to go to a "hopper empty" status when there is still about $125-$150 $1 coins in them. For that reason we keep about $250 in there. Today each hopper had only around $40 in them each!!! Explain that to me.

2. I understand how they did it. They inserted the strung $20 bill and pressed the refund button. I went into the DAN system and have turned the "Refund Button" to "Disable". I tested it with a $1 bill and it would not refund my $1 in the form of coin. Will this be a workable solution to stringing? I assume it will still return overpayments when a wash is selected and print the receipt when pushed. It would take them much longer now to insert a $20 bill select a wash and receive change. Then start the wash and purchase another one via stacking. Robbers are too lazy to go through all of that arent they? Will my disabled refund button do the trick in stopping this or is there a way around it?

If you know a way around it, please PM me, we dont need the bad guys reading this forum learning tricks (even though they probably already know the answer)

Thank You,
Steve

MEP001

Reaction score
Replace the validators with Mars and you likely won't have any more trouble. Relying on the method of a disabled refund button will probably just shut down your washes if they can't automatically clear the stacked ones.

Consider cameras to try and catch them.

Baywash

Mike
Reaction score
I disabled my refund button after some nearby washes got stringged. I did this over a month ago and have not had one single complaint or problem due to not being able to refund money. Everything works fine with no interuptions. Go ahead and try it for awhile and see how it works out for you. Its an easy program switch.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I agree with MEP and have all my changers and auto cashiers switched over to MARS. My Hamilton XE validator was strung one week before XMas a couple of years ago, nice present huh? Went to MARS and haven't had any problems since.

Baywash

Mike
Reaction score
Going with the Mars is deffinently the way to go if you don't use tokenotes. I use tokenotes and do not really want to stop using them, so shutting off the refund has been a good solution.

teamplex65

Reaction score
I use tokennotes so switching to MARS is not an option.

Disabling the refund button should do the trick. I may put a sticker over the refund button that says "receipt" so there is no confusion.

When you disabled the refund button did you add any signage that said "no refund available on money deposited" or anything to that affect?

Steve

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
When you disabled the refund button did you add any signage that said "no refund available on money deposited" or anything to that affect?
Steve
I never put anything stating anything on mine. I've got five autos with Hamiltons and it's never been an issue in the 10+ years I've had them disconnected.

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
Button

I disconnected my refund button years ago. Plus I switched to Mars, years ago. They drive on by Mars and find the other validators.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Hamilton says, when a customer uses credit card, :"for a receipt, press refund now".

Does disabling the refund button disable the ability to give a receipt as well?

Thanks!:D

teamplex65

Reaction score
I do not believe so. In fact I'm going to put a sign over the button that says "receipt" instead of refund and see if I can re-record the prompts.

Randy

Reaction score
If you go into the controller programming and disable the Refund button you can still push the Refund button to get a receipt.

GALESBURG LASER

Reaction score
Hamilton Goldline

We have hamilton gold line as well,xe validators.We have disconnected the refund selection,but if a customer uses a 10 they can still receive quarters for the change.We also use these validators in our change machines.Got took on the change machines by the crook reaching through the coin slot , possibly with a coat hanger and pulling the wiring harness out and crossing some wires to unload us!!!!We contacted hamilton and they told us what to do.Are you guys talking about the changers unloading the coin hoppers or something else? I as well as anyone dont need these headaches or losses.Any info would help if we have missed something.Where can this Mars be purchased through or more info on them? We have the piece on the stackers that have teeth on them,are these not fool proof either? Any info would be great! Almost scary reading these posts,makes me think we still are lacking something??

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Contact Etowah Valley Equipment. They are the sponsor for the Self-Serve section, just click the banner. Order a Mars kit and a changer monitor with siren. The monitor will shut the machine down and sound the siren if anyone figures out a new way to jackpot the machine. This is all plug-n-play with the exception of two wires for the siren. If you don't attatch the siren, don't waste money on the monitor because it won't stop the crooks, just makes them steal your money in small chunks.

Other things to do include

Install a GFCI
Coin cup covers
Remove "Out of Service" lights and plug the holes with carriage bolts.
Hopper payout switch guards
Fasten, wrap, tie down, or do whatever it takes to keep the wiring from being pulled out of the machine in case someone manages to get a good grip. I once had someone with such a good grip that he actually pulled the wire in two, but I had it fastened down where he couldn't get it out.

Oh yeah, I thought of something else. I cut out the little latching bump on the harness plugs. This way if they get a grip it will come unplugged.

Be pro-active, not re-active!

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
Some jackpotting issues are from crooks pulling the harness out through a hole and shorting a particular wire to engage the hopper manually. Newer Hamilton changers have a manual disconnect wire which disables any manual-run of the hopper. It's easy to add yourself. Putting the changer on a GFCI circuit will also help since they can ground a certain wire to make the hopper run, and instead it will just trip the circuit and disable the whole machine.

The anti-stringing teeth in the Hamilton stacker doesn't work against tape, only actual string. A Mars won't send the payout signal until the stacker cycles and the bill path is read clear.

Randy

Reaction score
Don?t waste you money on a changer monitor kit. Put your changer on a GFI, it should be on one anyway. Disconnect the white plug about halfway up th harness this thi disconnects the Hopper run switch, it'll have a bright Green or Yellow tag on it. Take a piece of 5/8 hose and split it on one side and slip it over the wiring harness that goes down to the Hopper. Secure this with metal tubing clamps, they are the same kind that are use on ships or airplanes to secure the wiring harnesses. (See the picture) I ran this hose up passed the out of service light, there's no way you can put the harness out. If you want to change out your validators you got a few options, Coinco, Mars or Pyramid. It basically depends on the age of the changer. The newer Hamilton changers will take a Upstack validator. The Goldline ACW is already set up for a 24 volt Mars AE2602 Upstack validator. You can not use TOKEN NOTES with a Mars validator.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Randy, I love you like a grandfather, but you're out to lunch when you advise against the changer monitor. What about when someone comes in to launder a bunch of robbery money, some good counterfeit stuff? Just because it ain't happened yet don't mean the crooks just gave up. Frankly, of all the things I've done, the monitor was by far the most effective. It's the catch-all when everything else fails. What was your experience with them that soured you?

BTW, where are your coin cup covers? Did the crooks steal them?