What's new

Sump Pit Dirt

DWengert

Reaction score
Help me fight this one. Recently the County Health Department sent a request for an audit , making sure we have our sumps tested and disposed of by a hazardous waste company. They are also charging us an annual fee for this audit. I am claiming car wash pit dirt is not hazardous waste. I is simply road and enviroment dirt. I have been told the EPA does not consider Car Wash pit dirt hazardous waste. Does anyone know where I can find this in writing? I have also heard of a similar case that went to court with the ruling in favor of the car wash. Anyone know the facts of this case?
For the past 30 years of this car wash's exhistance the pit dirt has been shoveled out, dried and then taken to the local landfill where they accept it.

Any facts to help me plead my case would be appreciated.

Thanks,
D

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
have you had your pits or tanks pumped? The hauling Co is required to give you a slip saying that they are "certified" to handle hazardous waste and the test what is hauled off. The cost of some of the test were between $200-$700 individually. "Dry" sump material is not considered hazardous but in a wet form it is. Try sending them the DEP section on dry material as you do it.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I do not believe wet material is designated "Hazardous" merely "Special". The handling requirements are different as are the license the waste haulers must have.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try the trade magazines.

I think it was last month's Pro. Carwashing and Detailing.

They had a big article on a recent study where all the carwash pit dirt samples were deemed NON-HAZARDOUS due to a low level of petroleum hydrocarbon levels or something.

I posted on here about it, but many operators still seem focused on paying big $ for hazardous certified haulers to remove their pit dirt.

Try your State's D.E.P. office. I've got my guy right in the ol' Rolodex, know him by name and call him whenever a question like this comes up for me.

DWengert

Reaction score
No , we have never pumped out the pits. Our pits are 23 x 23 x 15. We dig them out with a shovel . dry the dirt then dispose of it at the landfill. The regulation they are trying to enforce is very vague and does not specifically name pit dirt. They want to start charging us a license or inspection fee plus what is costs to hire a company to test and dispose of what they are calling hazardous waste.
We are just a 2 bay self serve in a small town. Along with the drop in sales from the economy this will close us down.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for this! I added it right to my carwash folder in my computer!

Good reading, too.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

BigLeo48:

Well done kind sir, my compliments.

Patrick H. Crowe

pgrzes

Reaction score
Dont feel to bad. My municipality forces me to have my effluent tested quarterly for EVERY contaminent known to man. They want my pits cleaned and tested quarterly, and they want to see all the results for everything thatis done!! It is costing me a fortune to try to comply. Plus i have to have a industrial discharge permit, which according to the EPA carwashes are NOT industrial dischargers. But i have an incredibly persistant Municipality and they dont care about EPA or DEP. And neither the DEP or EPA will get involved. they say as long as they meet the minimum requirements thats all they care!!!!!!

RockyMountain

Reaction score
Who empties your pits?

Does anyone else empty their own pits by means of a shovel? If so, what is the process you go through to dry and dispose of it?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Does anyone else empty their own pits by means of a shovel? If so, what is the process you go through to dry and dispose of it?
I don't, but in my area you can. What you must do is dry it first, than it can be put into the dumpster.

BigLeo

MEP001

Reaction score
I have in the past shoveled the mud from the pits right onto the bay floor and let it dry overnight. then put it in the dumpster the next day. It's legal per EPA regulations. The only problem is that it stinks.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am going to have to start doing that soon. I worked for five years as an underground excavator laborer. Let's just say I am not too pumped about doing it, but it is cheaper than the alternative.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've looked for it many times but I've never found it online. I did get a copy of it some years ago, and it's a federal EPA regulation, not a state or local law. It's possible your locality has something that contradicts it, but I'd doubt it.