What's new

Take up drum damage

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
For the second time in less than two years our take up drum has failed. Some locals are replacing drum with the same type sprocket as is on the drive motor. Any pros or cons? Not much of a price difference.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
For the second time in less than two years our take up drum has failed. Some locals are replacing drum with the same type sprocket as is on the drive motor. Any pros or cons? Not much of a price difference.
Curious. Just had a Flapan one fail but it's been several years.

Car volume would be more important that calender time in determining wear. A wash may do 100,000 - 500,000 cars or more in 2 years.

Have tried the sprocket solution. It works. I think the drum allows a little side to side play that you get as the car loads with wear on a different part of the chain. The sprocket wears the inside of the links and the drum will wear certain outside edges. With 2 sprockets you wear the same surfaces at both ends. Can't say how significant that would be.

Considering where the drum fails you may consider either stocking a spare or rotating it after 18 months.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I would suspect the reason for the drum wearing out is your chain tension is too high.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
I'm running a Flapan and about 2 years ago converted to a rear sprocket. I don't think we will ever go back. It definately reduces side to side movement of the chain.

As for the issue of wear... haven't really noticed much additional wear, just need to keep an eye on the sprockets to make sure it doesn't start to hook over time. (Nothing 5 min with a grinder can't fix)

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
Thanks for info. We have installed a sprocket on our take up so hopefully that will help.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
We use Macneil conveyors and Ryko conveyors (a modified Macneil) Macneil still uses a drum and Ryko uses sprockets at both ends. I think the double sprocket creates less wear and tear on the chain. The problem with the drums is they are hollow and if you dont pay attention they "fail" (collapse).