What's new

The party's over

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
I finally had to turn on the weepmizer and floor heat today. I don't keep records, but I don't believe I've ever gone this far into the year without setting up for winter. Usually, we have had a hard freeze in mid October or earlier. We have been playing golf twice a week up until last Wednesday.

I guess I had better dig out the snow plow and order some salt. It looks like the party's over.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Same here in Southern Ohio! Its been a perfect fall here. A great harvesting season. Not wet or cold at all. It was in the 70's yesterday....Today high of 42°! Yes, the party's over....So glad I took the time to make necessary changes in the wash to make it easy to prepare for winter!

MEP001

Reaction score
Same here even in Texas, we usually have our first day needing a jacket by the last week of September, but we finally got it today.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Brrrrrrrr this sucks! I hope we ALL have a great winter lots and lots vehicles to wash and minimal to no breakdowns and we make TONS of money!

MudMoney

Reaction score
Here in north central montana the temps are low 30's @ nite to 60 during the day.Only had one snow storm that dump 6" first week of oct.Hunting season has been going on since aug 15 .The wettest fall that I can remember due to rain, so I got lots of mud and I'm smiling as mud is money !This is the longest I've gone without floor heat .

Robert2181

Reaction score
You have to love it. Here in Michigan, as soon as the harvest season starts and the season changes game on. Good luck car wash people and high numbers. Happy Thanksgiving.

APW

Reaction score
I'm curious how many cars a day you average in the winter. It hasn't snowed down here in 30 years.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
After a snow and a warm up....I've had cars lined up solid for 15 hours straight...Days like this helps with the averages!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Atlanta is in drought restrictions. Watering limited to two days and 4 hours. We haven't had measurable rain in 39 days breaking a record. The good news is that home car washing is banned and they recommend washing only at a car wash. No rain in the current forecast until Tuesday and even then it is only 40% chance. To add to all this this is pine tree sap time which sticks to vehicles. This is usually a decent season but with the restrictions most washes are very busy.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
It’s interesting how we pessimists are thinking the party’s over, and the optimists are thinking that the party is just starting. There are definitely two ways of looking at it.

I have often wondered if I make (keep) any more money in the winter than in the summer. We have some huge weekends in the winter if everything lines up right with snows and thaws. But we also have periods when it is sub zero, no one is washing, and the gas meter is just going round and round to keep the building, floor heat, and weep water warm. So I pulled some data out of my records, but it doesn’t fully answer the question. This is based on a 6 bay self service wash in Omaha.

In a typical winter season of December through March my place grosses about $5400 more than it does in the same summer period of June through September. But in the winter months, I have the following expenses that are not there in the summer.

The outdoor lighting is on 16 to 17 hours per day instead of 8 to 9 hours in the summer. The floor heat boiler is on about 700 hours for the season, and the weep water flows for about 900 hours. This is money going down the drain and up the chimney without washing any cars. I don’t have enough information to put a dollar value on this.

If you like winter, your party is just starting, and I am glad you are enjoying it. But I would much rather golf, bicycle, or mow than push snow, chop ice, and watch TV.

Just my $.02, have a good season everyone.

Robert2181

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. But also keep in mind that people wash more and there are no drive way washers.

That is why a few years back I put in a high efficiency boiler for floor and trough heat, and a polar blow down system instead of weeping water.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
I have to admit that this last week has been a party. We had 4" of snow on Wednesday of last week. It was 60 degrees on Friday and has been in the 40's and 50's ever since. No floor heat, no weep water, no breakdowns, and no rain. Life is good.