What's new

Thinking about a 2112 335i Sports Package

pitzerwm

Reaction score

seattleguy

Reaction score
FUN FUN FUN cars to drive. After the warranty runs out they break and cost fortune to fix. I loved all of mine. Not great cars if you plan on keeping for a long time.

MEP001

Reaction score
I agree with seattleguy, they're super nice cars especially if you really enjoy driving, but when they need maintenance it's incredibly expensive. A tune-up will run you several thousand dollars, and if you don't do them the resale value plummets. There are plenty of cars that ride better and look just as good.

I don't even like the looks of that car so much since they mandated the "pedestrian-friendly" hood.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If you do look for a mechanic that specializes on BMW's. I have one and found a good mechanic that only works on BMW's and Mercedes. He uses only OEM parts and his charges are reasonable. Much better than the dealership. Now a days any repair is expensive at the dealerships for any vehicle.

Etowah

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. What would you suggest instead, Mep?

I found one in Macon, GA anyone live near there that it wouldn't be a hassle to take a look at it for me?

As for maintenance, you get a 4 yr. 50K miles total service, so I guess the deal is to sell it before 4 years are up.

JacksonV

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Might not make a bad company car - you'd still get to use it on some weekends. :D

seattleguy

Reaction score
If you do look for a mechanic that specializes on BMW's. I have one and found a good mechanic that only works on BMW's and Mercedes. He uses only OEM parts and his charges are reasonable. Much better than the dealership. Now a days any repair is expensive at the dealerships for any vehicle.
I used to take my BMW's to an independent shop specializing in BMW's. I was never impressed with the dealer's service work. Instead of fixing anything they always wanted to just replace everything that could possibly be bad. The independent shop had some integrity and either fixed what needed repairing or explained the options to me and let me decide the best course of action.

MEP001

Reaction score
pitzerwm said:
Thanks for the comments. What would you suggest instead, Mep?
If you plan on putting a lot of mileage on it, I'd go with a Lexus or Infinity. If you want a nice ride, for a little less money you can get a Jaguar - the XF 3.0 is a lot more powerful. If it's the driving that you're most after, might as well go with the BMW.

Of course I'd probably go with a Chevy Impala SS, or hunt down a used supercharged 4-door Pontiac GTO (the Vauxhall Monaro with the 'Vette LS1 engine) that was sold in the US for just one year.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
As you were used to the nissan i would take a look at infiniti-- I have an audi, an the germans are just different in their version of sport and luxury. In my area so many Bosnians buy 10yr old bmw's i just may be skewed in my opinion.
When i say different i mean - More utilitarian than luxurious or fun.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
According to Car & Track in a comparison the performance/etc was hands down the 335i BMW over Infinity/Lexus/MB.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
I had a "6" car for several years. Agree with what has been said above, fun, expensive,not too reliable. They over engineered every thing-- which is to say unnecessarily complex systems.

Ted

CRHAMEL

Reaction score
So I had the pleasure of whooping my buddies 12 BMW Z 4 with a turbo..
It was pretty insane fast.. I was merging into traffic at 120.. the amount of air you hear being consumed is amazing.. it had the pattle shifters on the steering whee and 0 turbo lag.. and that "sport button" to change the shifting My brother was with me and we got to 140/150 at the speed he said" now we are moving a little" Bill take a look at the Corvette ZR1.. Or the Nissan GTR they are booth a 200 mph car.. But what about a Pantera??? Fords answer to the Ferrari?? They are ALWAY a head turner..

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I'm just a bit too old to need that speed, although, my 350Z will get up and go, this new 335i with the sport package, seems to get up and go as well, enough to pass a moron going to slow or to get out of a problem spot. They are working their way down on price so, I might end up with it.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Ok, I did it, got a fair deal not a great deal, traded in the 350Z, had 61K on it and I realized that I had had it 5 years. Jackson, its your the 2nd Tuesday of each week.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Bill,

Good choice! I have owned a couple of BMWs, the Z4M coupe was my last one and it was insane. I have also owned Lexus IS and an Audi A4. The Lexus was terrible and IMHO you only buy an Audi for the Quattro (but an excellent cars none the less). As for the Nissan/Infinity products...every time I look at that option, I am impressed with the tech/toys and the power, but not the fit/finish, engine sound/noise and solidity. IMHO, the Germans are just rock solid cars!

I would buy a BMW in a heartbeat. As far as maintenance goes, go to your local BMW forum to get all the details on local service (likely already done that).

Enjoy!