What's new

TN Flood

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Well, a few days have passed since the major flood peaked here in Tennessee. Water is still high in some areas but has dropped significantly. Car washes around the Nashville area have been put on notice to close or you will be closed because one water plant is down and the other is barely keeping up with demand. I know it is the right thing to do but if they don't get that unit up an running soon it will be a long month. I couldn't even get out of my neighborhood for three days to even go and close my wash. Finally was able to ... at least I don't have to go and empty the trash. My family was very lucky. Water only got into our crawl space and collapsed the A/C duct flex. I will be out only a couple of grand total however many neighbors not so lucky. My old body can hardly move from the aches and pains of work I have not done in years. Last night an elderly couple from down the street came home (had been out of town) I had never met them, he is disabled and requires a walker and his wife is not much better shape..I saw them and walked over and they are devestated..probably in their 80's. They do not know many people...their daughter and son in law are flying in and will be here today. We will try to help but it is even getting hard to find workers because there is so much devestation everywhere. At least the rescue boats aren't pulling up to the front of the house anymore.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
My thoughts are with you. Last year my city went thru the same ordeal. Business was almost non-existent for a month, and the rest of the year was really different because of it. I found the quiet time at the wash , a time to try to get ahead on repairs.
Best of Luck to everyone in your area
John

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
My thoughts are with you. Last year my city went thru the same ordeal. Business was almost non-existent for a month, and the rest of the year was really different because of it. I found the quiet time at the wash , a time to try to get ahead on repairs.
Best of Luck to everyone in your area
John
Thanks for the encouragement. I actually don't have to many repairs for the wash. I have not worked so hard since I was a teenager however. Today we worked on demoing three homes taking up floors, removing drywall and insulation etc trying to hold the cost down for some of the elderly...I can hardly move but it is a good hurt. At almost 60 I feel like the song...I am not as good as I once was but for once I am as good as I always was....the only problem we can't stop at once in our neighborhood...to many folks that need help. This is really bad here.....really bad.........

jprb

Reaction score
We had 14 inches of rain in one 24 hr period near one of our washes in March 2008. We only had 6 inches of water on the lot and in the equipment room. It lasted about a day. Other than cleaning up a little mud, we didn't have have any damage.

Good Luck!
JPRB

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Well, I am a bit disappointed that there no more post / replies about the flood here in TN. I guess it just shows if it ain't happening to you then it don't matter. My wash is still open but the washes that are served by Metro Water in Nashville, still are under executive order to remain closed. They are getting hammered by this and since most are not directly impacted by the actual flood waters they so far are not eligible for any type of assistance that we can find. Looks like they may not lift this order for at least two more weeks since one of the two water plants that supply metro is still under repair. I am on the outskirts of Nashville and am supplied by a different utility not impacted as much by the flood...only had to be closed for about 12 days...still hurts. Last count this flood cost so far are almost 2 billion dollars and still rising.

mjc3333

Reaction score
This can happen to ANYBODY anywhere any time of the year. Our last major life changing flood was back in 1972. It rained for weeks. You don't have to live near a body of water. It convinced people to move to some form of higher ground. It took well over 10 + years to see any improvement.

All natural disasters are devastating. Floods have to be the worst next to an 8.0 magnitude earthquake.

All the best to everyone effected.