What's new

top package price survey please

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Ok... I haven't "raised the price" in 4 years inspite of; higher property taxes (30% in 3 years), Higher property insurance, acutally lower WC (went from a rating of 6.5 to 4.5%!), 12% higher chemical cost per year for last two years consecutively, and higher ulitilies.

I finally wore my wife down (she'd give everything I own away) and I'm going to raise some prices. Now, my top full service wash package is $22 (wash with all the bells & wistles, vac, windows, dash, fragance & tire shine). Only other option is Double bond for extra $3. When I was in Hattiesburg MS 3 years ago, a local chain charged me $35 for a full service wash! So I think I have some room.

Here it goes.... what's your top FS price?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doug

This may be apples to oranges comparison but may give you ideas regarding your price point.

My detail shop does a 'mini detail' for $39, base price. It's a hand wash, vacuum, windows, dust interior (no dressing), scent, litterbag, dress tires. I go up from this price if the vehicle requires extra time and materials to complete or if it's a van, suv, etc. I go as high as $59.

DavidM

Reaction score
Our top wash package is $23. This includes CCP, undercarriage, trifoam, wheel cleaner, tire shine and inside we vacuum, clean windows and dust the dash, console, cupholders, wipe door jambs.

We should probably be at 25-26 dollars but are holding currently. We have new competition and we are planning some updates so the prices will be adjusted later.
(PA's minimum wage went up to $7.25 from $5.15 this past summer)

David

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Since the retail trade area for a free-standing carwash is relatively small, say, a 3-mile radius or the equivalent of a 10 to 15-minute driving time from the site, the only prices that matter are ones that exist within your trade area.

If you want to raise price, you may want to consider the following.

1) How much has your per unit average variable cost risen since your last price increase?
2) Compare the prices you charge for services versus the competition and calculate the average difference.
3) Considering the difference in prices, do you have enough of a competitive advantage to justify a price increase that will at least cover the change in per unit variable cost?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Since the retail trade area for a free-standing carwash is relatively small, say, a 3-mile radius or the equivalent of a 10 to 15-minute driving time from the site, the only prices that matter are ones that exist within your trade area.

Interesting statistic. Probably valid for some areas and terrible for others. At an average of 20mph in 15 minutes you go 5 miles so that blows away the 3 mile radius right there. Then you have the commuting by vehicle factor where people may stop aon their way to and from work. How many vehicle commuters only commute 3 miles. How many places will the commuters pass?

All those are your competition.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
We are EE for $3.50. Midwest prices tend to be lower for many things compared with much of the country. On line package tops out at $11.50, After care menus offers wheel detailing $4.00, Armor all quoted by job, Mats. windows, Vacuum and hand dry $4.00, after that you get more into what I call detailing services such as hand wash, interior shanmpoo, polishing, engine cleaning.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score

If you want to raise price, you may want to consider the following.

1) How much has your per unit average variable cost risen since your last price increase?
2) Compare the prices you charge for services versus the competition and calculate the average difference.
3) Considering the difference in prices, do you have enough of a competitive advantage to justify a price increase that will at least cover the change in per unit variable cost?
Bob,

Come on now.... you know Tampa and the surronding area as well as I do.... Bartow car washs... $25 for a full service, S. Lakeland, $25, Winterhaven $25, Dade City $25..... Ocala... I don't know. I'm talking about simular size areas. $25-$27 should be the range... I just want some concensus.

Tampa area washers are down 30%-50% this year!

Can't anyone shoot me a straight answer?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Most of the washes in the Atlanta area are at $29.99 for their top package. They usuallyinclude their super sealant in that package rather than offer it ala carte. Most chose to raise the price of their other packages leaving the top package alone this year. The way things have been here the last six months I don't anticipate any increase this year.

JK Xpress

Reaction score
Not sure I understand why you want data on what other people charge. What people pay for a FS wash in NYC and LA will have a low correlation with what you can charge in Tampa. You should only be concerned w/ what your competition is doing in terms of pricing and quality.

If I experienced a significant drop in volume, the last thing I would do is increase prices. The theory of managing revenues to a certain level (increase price point to offset lower volume) is off base.

Manage expenses and work on the right-hand side of the balance sheet.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Jk,

A few points.

1. A lot of people who post (read) here are in the Tampa area or Florida area with simular demos as mine.

2. National averages do have an impact. Typically the SE is lower than other area.. except the midwest... in pricing. I have always been a few dollars below the national average and even below the area & regional average in pricing.

3. I compared 2007 & 2006 FS wash #'s. they are basically unchanged in volume. However the cost have increased.

4. The area S. W Florida has experance significant decreases in volume this year.

5. Lowering prices DOES NOT EQUATE TO INCREASING REVENUE OR VOLUME so raising prices to "offset" is not "off base" .... often it's survival!

I'm trying to find that price point that the customer will accept and increase my profit margin with negatively effecting my current volume of FS top packages. I feel that that is at between $25-$27 and that is what I SEE IN THE SURROUNDING AREA... I JUST WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM THOSE PEOPLE (I have heard from some in private E-mail... thanls guys)

Sudzie

Reaction score
A lot of time has passed since the start of this post but here goes. EE Tunnel pricing of our top package is $19 with Double Bond & Vision Clear. Package runs 19.5 % of our sales. Customers drive as far away as 12 miles and go by 2 other washes that are $12 & $15 for their top package. A clean car coming out of the end of your tunnel is good for business. Oh BTW we are an unattended tunnel 60% of the day.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Sudzie, I see that you are new here so I'll get you up to speed. It's too late for Ben's. He didn't make it and went out of business early in '09.