What's new

Tractor supply store lighting is not a priority

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went to tractor supply to buy a half inch nonworking male by female swivel. I was already frustrated because I sent an employee there to get it and despite being helped by store personnel he came back empty-handed. I knew they had it so I went myself. I went back to the section where the swivels were, picked it up and turned back around to check out.

I noticed a couple weeks ago when I went in the store that it seemed very dim inside but maybe they were trying to save money by only using part of the ceiling lights. I spotted an employee at a desk in the back and stopped to ask. I said "is there a reason why only about a third of the lights in the store are on?" She said "oh… The power went out a few weeks ago and caused an electrical problem in the store. We contacted corporate about it but they said it's not a priority for them."

I guess customers being able to see their way around the store and clearly determine what they're looking at it's not a priority.

Keno

Reaction score
Retail 101 - light your store up as bright as you can...also I'm pretty sure will become a priority once they get hit with a lawsuit due to poor lighting. Their employees already admitting they don't care about lighting - ambulance chaser's dream

OurTown

Reaction score
I went to tractor supply to buy a half inch nonworking male by female swivel. I was already frustrated because I sent an employee there to get it and despite being helped by store personnel he came back empty-handed. I knew they had it so I went myself. I went back to the section where the swivels were, picked it up and turned back around to check out.

I noticed a couple weeks ago when I went in the store that it seemed very dim inside but maybe they were trying to save money by only using part of the ceiling lights. I spotted an employee at a desk in the back and stopped to ask. I said "is there a reason why only about a third of the lights in the store are on?" She said "oh… The power went out a few weeks ago and caused an electrical problem in the store. We contacted corporate about it but they said it's not a priority for them."

I guess customers being able to see their way around the store and clearly determine what they're looking at it's not a priority.

That's corporate for ya and how as the "little guys" we can compete.

Reaction score
First, here in Utah I have seen multiple people struggle with customer service at my local TSC, mostly dealing with bad inventory and empty shelves. I have learned to go to CAL Ranch, one of their main competitors.

Second, and this question is a bit out of context, but I am curious, don't modern LED lights take almost no power to run? I have seen a couple local washes that shut off some of their lights, or put them on motion sensors, at night to save on power. Is it really that big of savings or are they stepping over dimes to pick up pennies?

OurTown

Reaction score
First, here in Utah I have seen multiple people struggle with customer service at my local TSC, mostly dealing with bad inventory and empty shelves. I have learned to go to CAL Ranch, one of their main competitors.

Second, and this question is a bit out of context, but I am curious, don't modern LED lights take almost no power to run? I have seen a couple local washes that shut off some of their lights, or put them on motion sensors, at night to save on power. Is it really that big of savings or are they stepping over dimes to pick up pennies?

They are much more efficient than other light sources but still can draw enough power to make adding some additional controls worthwhile. We will have over 3,000 watts of LEDs at our little wash when we reopen burning all night long.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think more than trying to save money, they are not fixing an electrical problem that occurred when they lost power a few weeks ago. It happened to me at the car wash too; probably the same power outage. I had a couple of breakers I had to reset on my touch free to get it to pump soap and high-pressure water.

i'm just shocked that they didn't just call in an electrician to fix the problem if they couldn't fix it themselves.