What's new

Trash Dumpers Police say its OK

Reaction score
happens all the time, sit in the bays, each breakfast, lunch, throw the trash away and drive off, I stop them and tell them NOT to come back!

Scrub Free

Reaction score
I've given up on dumpers . My next step is to hang a sign that says: FOR EXCESSIVE TRASH PLEASE USE DUMPSTER.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I've given up on dumpers . My next step is to hang a sign that says: FOR EXCESSIVE TRASH PLEASE USE DUMPSTER.
Be careful with that one!!! Your dumpster will be filled every day. Someone said to me why dont you put more bigger trashcans out so you dont have to be there as much. I said the more you have the more they will fill!!!! People will overfill to point then they sometimes give up. So I now have 3-30 gallon trash bins with lids, and 5 gal. buckets "with holes" at the end of each bay. Keeps trash to a manageable amount.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Why in the world would you want to encourage dumping? Take some of the measures described here to discourage and minimize trash dumping your loyal customers will appreciate the fact that you are maintaining a clean wash and not allowing it to become a garbage dump.

Scrub Free

Reaction score
The issue I keep getting is people insist on putting the 55 gallon hefty into the barrel filling it immediately. Of course we are unmanned, so everyone else has no place for the small items. I swear they do it right after I do the barrels ( 3-4 times) depends on traffic.
When we catch them we nicely explain the actual reason for the barrel and let them know we are watching. But it continues, and is obviously part of the business. We will be installing signs to discourage this maybe more like
Barrels are for patrons only please help us to maintain a clean wash ?

sparkey

Reaction score
Did the girl dump bags of garbage or just use the trash can to clean out her van without buying anything? Unless you have a sign up like MEP suggested stating not to use the trash can without making a purchase, I would think the girl had no idea she was doing anything wrong. If she dumped household garbage bags, I would also be upset. I too have gone through bags of garbage to find an address to "return" it to its rightful owner.

I read on this forum a very long time ago that reducing the opening on the garbage can receptacles will cut down on garbage. I did this and it reduced the amount of bags of garbage I was getting by 80-90%. If they can't get it in the trash can, I think most (but not all) will think twice about just leaving the bags on the ground.

Unless it was a LOT of garbage, I would be worried about the bad publicity a young girl could spread through social media after being yelled at.
I have signs on all my cans that say "These trash cans are for paying customers only, violators will be prosecuted". This wash is actually a wash I just purchased. I ran all the trash dumpers off from my old wash. Now they are all at my new wash. Fortunately I own every wash in town now, so I don't mind enforcing my rules a little harder.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Sparkey, the first step is to find out what your State's litter law is. Police are going to consult their law book if it is a gray area, or a situation they are unfamiliar with.

This looks like the Ohio litter law, and it appears small amounts (food sacks, etc)are allowed to be disposed of under law.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3767.32

MEP001

Reaction score
This looks like the Ohio litter law, and it appears small amounts (food sacks, etc)are allowed to be disposed of under law.
Not if they make special travel onto private property just to dispose of it.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Not if they make special travel onto private property just to dispose of it.
well, I didn't read that far into it. And I bet the police officers didn't either. That looks like what he needs to make his case.

Sparkey- point out section C 2 to the supervisor you talk to.

sparkey

Reaction score
I talked to the police chief today. He is going to get back with me, but I have a feeling he is starting to see it my way. There is a clause in the Ohio revised code that talks about a casual passerby being able to throw out small cups, candy wrappers, etc. But is also says a casual passerby is someone who does not travel onto or by a property with the sole purpose of using their litter receptacle. I pointed this out with the fact my cans are marked. I think I am starting to get somewhere.

sparkey

Reaction score
Sparkey, the first step is to find out what your State's litter law is. Police are going to consult their law book if it is a gray area, or a situation they are unfamiliar with.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3767.32
Check out section C 2 "casual passerby" means a person who does not have depositing litter in a litter receptacle as the person's primary reason for traveling to or by the property on which the litter receptacle is located.

jprb

Reaction score
I remember, years ago, someone was making a "Pay" Trash can. It looked like a mailbox with a small drop slot/drawer. It took a quarter to open the drawer, and locked back when you closed/dumped it. I thought it was silly back then, but I'd probably buy some now after dumping trash for 20 years! It was in SSCWN, I believe. Does anyone remember it, or have the old issue it was in?

JPRB

Randy

Reaction score
The problem most of the time is with the prosecutor and not with the police. The police can write all the citations they want but it’s the prosecutor who makes the final call. If the prosecutor isn’t going to do anything the police will be reluctant to write citations, the police have told me more than once that I’m wasting their time. I had one yesterday, he didn’t want to do anything. Now the new thing they are saying is video isn’t enough to prosecute someone for theft of services, still need to have 3 pieces of mail.

Sponge Bob

Reaction score
Just last week I made my 2nd visit of the day to my wash facility to clean up after my patrons on my way home from my regular job and found a pickup backed up to my dumpster. I get the old "you built this place so you should expect to get trash" BS logic, but I draw the line at filling my dumpster. I was giving this poor kid my normal "this isn't the waste transfer station, it's 2 miles from here and they charge to accept deposits" speech when I noticed what he was dumping. He had thrown about a dozen freshly skinned coyote carcasses into my dumpster. My wash is not in a rural area. My mood changed from mildly annoyed to red faced mad. I proceeded to let him have it and he obligingly took it. The poor kid was simply trying to scratch out a living by trapping varmints, selling their hides to a tanner and the meat to a less fortunate person. Never once did he get belligerent. After he agreed to not do it again and drove away, I felt like an ass for the way I handled something that was obvious to me but not to him. Thrash goes in a receptacle and he was doing what he thought was socially acceptable and morally correct. I don't believe he thought for a moment that he stealing services. As a matter of fact he was surprised to discover that I actually had to pay for dumpster service. "The city doesn't do that for you when they come around to pickup at the houses?" "How do you make any money if you collect it for free and pay to rid of it?" He left me scratching my head.

6t7gto

Reaction score
I was telling a friend about watching a guy empty his pickup truck in my dumpster (via CCTV). didn't get plate number.
He is in the remodeling business.
He got caught midnight dumping in someones dumpster and was fined $400.00.
This is in Bedford,Ohio.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Self-serve wash is no different than vending business.

If you want to keep people who “don’t buy from you” from throwing their personal trash into the garbage cans placed next to the vending machines, you have to be willing to keep an employee on post.

Back in the day, that’s what they did for the bank of vending machines that where commonly placed at the entrance ways of K-mart’s, Zayre’s, etc.

I couldn’t image the mess at Wal-Mart if vending machines were placed in entrance ways today. LOL

Or you could put up a fence surrounding the property and gated entrance with POS. Then you could enforce trespass.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Now the new thing they are saying is video isn’t enough to prosecute someone for theft of services, still need to have 3 pieces of mail.
I would ask if this what they require for murders , assaults and robberies caught on tape. I am sure not. There is no reason for a higher level of prove for an offense with lesser penalties. I would also call the local prosecutors office to inquire if this is what the cops should be telling citizens who wish to report a crime. Get the info from prosecutor who says it's not true and next time a cop says this provide the prosecuters name and phone number.

Randy

Reaction score
Earl, I have to agree it's just pure Bull $hit whenever the police tells me these things, I think they must think that they can someone to believe them it'll make them look good. The prosecutor in the small town that my car wash is in is a part time prosecutor who doesn't want to do anything that is going to cost the city any money, like put someone in jail. I've tried o call the prosecutor numerous times and he won't return any of my calls, the chief of police is another one who is almost impossible to get in touch with.

Reaction score
I will admit I haven't read every post in this thread, how much trash got deposited in the first place? I ask because just today, when I pulled in to do my afternoon chores,I found that one person had filled to overflowing: Three standard size garbage cans at my vacs,three of those blue re-cycle bins and two additional garbage cans! I know it was the one person because all the trash was the same. This "person" is a newspaper distributor as there are route sheets and other evidence pointing to such. And I now have more than one life's time supply of bags to scoop kitty litter into!!! I just need a cat! If I went through the trash and found conclusive proof of identity, the police would make the person come and take it back. And issue a no trespass order.