What's new

Vacuum Monitoring System

D3Dubs

Reaction score
A few months back a customer smushed a Twinkie into the coin slot of one of our vacuums. Our wash is open 24/7 but there is not always an attendant on site so issues with the vacuums are a blind spot.

I am a car wash owner and also the product guy for a company that makes wireless monitoring systems for car wash operators. I came up with a few specifications for our technical team and they are developing a system for monitoring vacs.

The system consists of wireless sensors placed at each vacuum and communicates with a hub linked to wifi. The system has two functions. The first is a usage meter that shows the counts, usage time, and revenue for each vacuum. The second feature is an alerting system that will send a text or email when the vacuum is not working correctly. If a motor (on a multi-motor setup) fails an alert is sent. If the vacuum isn't turning on in similar sequence to the others onsite and alert is sent.

The overall idea is 1. the ability to track vacuum usage and 2. get notified if there is a potential issue with one of the vacuums.

Does this seem like something that would be useful for operators?

MEP001

Reaction score
What do you use as a Twinkie-coin-slot-smush sensor?

The idea overall is interesting. I'd highly recommend adding something to detect when a low-pressure pump isn't doing its job, if you haven't already.

D3Dubs

Reaction score
What do you use as a Twinkie-coin-slot-smush sensor?

The idea overall is interesting. I'd highly recommend adding something to detect when a low-pressure pump isn't doing its job, if you haven't already.
haha, hopefully the system will prevent any future twinkie smushes…

What are the common reasons a low-pressure pump would not be working correctly? Also, would these be the pumps delivering chemicals to the wash bay/tunnel for application?

Reaction score
I'm sure having systems in a unmanned car wash monitored for correct operation and usage statistics is something we all would be interested in if it wasn't ridiculously expensive. It wouldn't be so hard to monitor air pressure and fluid flow rates and whatnot but it would probably be a pretty extensive install. It would probably gain the most traction as part of a new install or retrofit where it could be absorbed into the total cost of the project rather than adding it to existing equipment.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Me personally as a operator I wouldn’t care about coin count or any of that bc most digital timer already have this if you want to get Tech savy put a wireless flow switch somewhere in the vac hose and it will send a text message when a vacuum losses suction with the inches of vacuum readings. That’s the only kind of system I would pay money to monitor since vacs are such low ROI anyways.

MEP001

Reaction score
What are the common reasons a low-pressure pump would not be working correctly? Also, would these be the pumps delivering chemicals to the wash bay/tunnel for application?
Yes, I was referring specifically to low-pressure application pumps. FloJet pumps will sometimes just stall and not pump, and if all your pumps are FloJets you'd probably want to monitor the air compressor too.

OurTown

Reaction score
I thought they were a high ROI. Sure the income is lower but they don't cost much and are cheap to maintain.

boywonder

Reaction score
While it is a good idea, its already been done for many years, just do a search for monitoring. At our car wash we monitor a couple hundred I/O's from vacuums, bays, chemical levels, to lot lights. Im am very curious as to what sensor to use when I get a twinkie shoved in the slot?