What's new

vandels make my life even harder today

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
After Church today and seeing my Sis in ICU I stopped by my SS wash.... only to find that 2 kids smashed all the LED displays to my bays! All 5 are distroyed.... $4000 worth of damage. I burned the disc off the DVR (Thanks Allen for the great system) and gave it to my local cop friends. 2 kids at 1:17 AM just took a piece of concrete and smashed each display one at a time, bay by bay for no reason!

I have a $2000 deductable and this month has been off by over 30% due to rain and local economics..... so I'll have to leave the damage a while. I have good video of the kids and the officer was the High Schools resource officer and does the school supply drive every year.... so he has a good idea of who these kids are. I hope we get them soon and they pay restitution.

I don't have the emotional energy to expend to get too upset... it's not worth it... it's only a dam car wash and the timer still works... it just doesn't display the countdown or my welcome message. I hope the parents are satisfied with how their kids particapate in the community.... I'm sure they will be happy to pay me the 4 grand!

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Burn a backup disk for yourself.
I had a problem last year. The police caught the kids in less than 24 hrs. and they all confessed.
I asked the police if they needed a copy and they said no because they had a confession.
The police came back to me 8-9 months later and asked if I could burn them a dvd. Too late.
Long story short but the kids got off.

MEP001

Reaction score
Definitely save a backup for yourself, even two. Blank DVDs are cheap, it takes only a few minutes to burn 'em, and you never know when you might need it again. I keep everything, I buy blank DVDs by the 100-pack.

Wally

Reaction score
Are these Dixmor timers? If so you can buy just the red case from Kleenrite. Be sure to get the protective piece of plexiglass. Even if they identify the kids, restitution could take a while.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Take a deep breath. Maybe you can put a decal over the damage for now, even something that reads:"coming soon, all-new, upgraded led displays!" or simply:"thank you!".

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
Doug,
I feel your pain! 2 years ago we had a vendor island w/changer etc cut down and stolen. We had videos of one of the culprits. Police came, cut DVD's, we put out a $500.00 dollar reward etc., and within 2 days had his name and address. Informant(s) didn't want to be known because they lived in the area. According to the detective the D.A. wouldn't press charges against him because informant(s) wouldn't step forward even though this guy had a rap sheet!

I told the detective that I would go to the newspaper if they didn't follow through. They again said they needed a "live" person to step up to the plate. A lady across the street from the wash said she would identify the photo. This guy had screwed her out of $400. bucks (not literally!)

D.A. finally put out a $20,000. warrant for his arrest! Guess what! He's still out there with no action.

Detective said he went to the house twice and nobody answered! His comment to me was "maybe he has a job!" duh!!!!

I hope you have better luck!