What's new

What Else Are We Missing?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold, December morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that thousands of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by and a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the best musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written with a violin worth 3.5 million dollars.

Two days before his playing in the subway, Joshua Bell sold out at a theater in Boston and the seats average $100.00 each.

This is a real story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing some of the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
I read the SOLOIST(LA times writer Steve Lopez) last weekend, a moving true story and soon to be released movie staring Jamie Fox. It's about Nathanial Ayers, a Juliard trained Bassist who became mentally ill and dropped out. He emerges in LA at the statue of Betoveen 40 years later playing on an old 2 stringed violin! It's a sad look at our mental health system, our treatment of vets, the homeless.... but a great story of hope and friendship. It will be released Late May.

Heres a link to the movies trailer: http://www.soloistmovie.com/

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's what i gleaned from this story; children were the ones who most focused on the violinist. Children recognized the quality of the musicianship because their minds aren't as yet constantly repeating the same messages over and over like most of ours are. Messages like; my rent is late. I wish I were 10 lbs lighter. I've got to get my car inspected. I hope I get my raise. Maybe I would if I weren't so pathetic. And fat.

Sadly, many of us are constantly involved in 'mind stuff' and we have trouble staying in the present moment, which is ironically the only place we can do any real 'living'. The present is where we work out, do yoga, listen to or play music, do our work and relax with our families. When we are taken out of the present moment by the mind either reliving the past or fretting about the future, we always miss the music playing, no matter how sweet.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I think he should have picked a different location, you really have to know your customer, In a Dc alot fear about stopping and getting your purse jacked, or better yet some dirty thing done to you from a member of congress!

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Bill:

I find the story touching and well written. I wonder what we are to conclude from it?

I suspect that most posters on this forum, when they plop down on a Sunday afternoon and grab the TV remote, are more apt to watch football than the Boston Pops, right?

I suspect most could name the top teams and players long before they could give a list of classical trumpeters or violinists, right? Same for Bach versus Herm Edwards, right?

So when the question is asked, based on this tale, "what else are we missing?" my reaction is I could offer a long list. Bush missed the intelligence informing him there were no weapons of mass destruction, right? Many government folks missed Madoff's thefts?

Does this piece suggest that folks should set their schedules aside, perhaps be late for work or other appointments based on their ability to see the value of violins and recognize extremely talented musicians? Is that realistic?

So, the piece tells me that Americans, Texans in particular, reliish foorball on Friday night and on Sunday afternoon and view classical music with near contempt. Most have never listened to Glen Gould play Bach's Goldberg variations and, worse yet, mock those of us who relish the piece.

Ask yourself in these times of strained school budgets: Is your school district more apt to cut the football and basketball programs or those of art, band and string quartets?

When Perot looked at Texas education he foumd towel warmers in the boys locker rooms and commented he did not have one. Simultaneously he noted the almost complete absence of state of the art technology in schools.

So, I relish the piece. Simultaneously it makes a point to me which this forum proves over and over again; Since I make :"big" money (usually not true) I'm ENTITLED to do as I GD well please and my education (huh, what:) taight me sports are far more important and usefu than art, music and so on. As one sows, - - right?

Patrick H. Crowe

MikeV

Reaction score
Dear Mr. Crow,
I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you actually believe what you just said. If you do, you are a fool, or just misinformed. I regularly visit the museums in Texas, MFAH, Nasher, Kimble, and others. They are on a par with any of the other museums around the world. I've been to the Guggenheim in Bilbao, The Tate and others. My niece just graduated Moore's School of Music at the U of H and I attended all of her concerts, ....its not rock and roll, country, rap,or hip hop . My wife is an artist and teaches art and she watches football. I'm sure I am not the exception.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll add that rock, hip hop, r&b, etc are all legitimate forms of musical expression.

Classical music isn't necessarily superior. It's all art and like it or not, the value is determined by the end user of the artwork. Many rock and hip hop musicians are brilliant, enlightened folks creating their art and adding to the rich tapestry of humanity.:D

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear MikeV:

I suspect you did not read what I wrote very carefully. Please read it again. This time please notice how careful I was NOT to say ALL. I said "most". Moreover I stated this as a suspicion, not a matter on which I had colleced emperical evidence.

You then want us to know my comments do not apply to you. I never made a universal statement. In my view your are the exception to my comments. I'm pleased to know there is ONE. My compliments, kind sir.

Finally, was your misspelling of my name a deliberate attempt to insult or simply further evidence of poor reading. An apology will suffice, never mind the flowers.

Patrick H. Crowe

MEP001

Reaction score
Partick H. Crowe said:
I suspect you did not read what I wrote very carefully. Please read it again. This time please notice how careful I was NOT to say ALL. I said "most". Moreover I stated this as a suspicion, not a matter on which I had colleced emperical evidence.

You then want us to know my comments do not apply to you. I never made a universal statement. In my view your are the exception to my comments. I'm pleased to know there is ONE. My compliments, kind sir.
There was no need for you to post what you did to begin with. Am I right?

If your intent to post wasn't to put yourself under fire, then what was it?

jfmoran

Reaction score
Mr. Crowe,

(spelled correctly mind you, interesting how you pick up on others misspelling, but fail to see your own, maybe you should remove the plank from your own eye?)

Your bourgeois condescension never fails to deliver. How did you ever wind up down here in the mud with the proletariat?

John